Todays Score (Plants, Seeds, and Cuttings)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Broke Down Ranch said:
Hey Joe! Glad you got some good wodd. We have SO much out there from our tree-trimming friends that we use only a couple of space heaters and a fireplace for heat.

injunjoe said:
Yes some plants maybe, but this is just a harmless shrub that tends to want to be aggressive in it's growth. Not like that darned Paper mulberry/take over/useless/ itchy/......
Joe
:lol:

You will be glad to know that upon your advice I pulled those paper mulberry starts up and tossed them aside the same day you told me how aweful they are....
Thank you! That makes me feel warm inside!

This tree was huge I did today! A large Oak. I had to remove a branch hanging over a condo. I am happy to say not even a little twig hit the roof.

Weird day though, Here it was 82 in the shade and I am worried about collecting every twig for my woodburning stove in the sunroom. It also keeps the chickens warm as it is right near the coop windows.

Joe
i wish you were closer to me, and i could get you to cut down the oak trees we have to cut. it's so hard to trust someone to do that kind of work and make sure it gets done well and properly. lol, and i'd probably get my mulberries cut out for free since they aggravate you so much! :gig

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Punkinpeep the last thing you want to do is just cut them down.
That will only promote runners and the cut stump will grow right back!

I use a ditchbank and chop out the root. If you grab a root and pull up you will see it is shallow and runs for ever, keep following that root and you will find it is sprouting trees all along it.

These are just my observations with this menace in FL. They grow under my wood deck, under my shed, hidding in my wood pile, they will even grow in a crack in cement if not checked.

Other then that I love them!

Joe

I sure am stiff today! Wow am I out of shape! "Honey were is my thigh master?"
I feel like I rode a very wide horse all day!
cowboy.gif

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Joe, I think i may have misplaced my ditchbank. (Just kidding. I don't know what that is.) :lol:

But i may go and pull up a root today just to see where it goes.

I hope you will be comforted to know that they are not nearly so prolific at my house as at yours.

Do you have the French Mulberry / American Beauty Berry? Those are sort of similar and a lot more prolific at my house? I've read that some people plant those on purpose, but i don't think you would catch me doing that. One or two might be a pretty accent, but in mass, they're not very pretty to me.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Joe, I think i may have misplaced my ditchbank. (Just kidding. I don't know what that is.) :lol:

I hope you will be comforted to know that they are not nearly so prolific at my house as at yours.

Do you have the French Mulberry / American Beauty Berry? Those are sort of similar and a lot more prolific at my house? I've read that some people plant those on purpose, but i don't think you would catch me doing that. One or two might be a pretty accent, but in mass, they're not very pretty to me.
I am glad to hear they don't cause the battle there that they do here.

French Mulberry/American beauty Berry grows wild on the sides of the road. I do like it when the berries are showing color. I plan on having one in my landscape next season. I have never seen one cultivated, so I may be able to keep it looking good. If not, nothing lost.

I went back to Wally World and picked up the rest of there Pony tail Palms. There was about 5 to a pot. They also came in these cool self watering, wick style, pots.

I found that they workers had over filled the containers and the plants were floating in the pots. As you can see I separated the plants into singles and doubles. The ones that were starting to rot are in the cups with a ? mark on them.

I moved a few bigger ponies into other pots also.

100_8435.jpg

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
PunkinPeep said:

I am glad to hear they don't cause the battle there that they do here.

French Mulberry/American beauty Berry grows wild on the sides of the road. I do like it when the berries are showing color. I plan on having one in my landscape next season. I have never seen one cultivated, so I may be able to keep it looking good. If not, nothing lost.

I went back to Wally World and picked up the rest of there Pony tail Palms. There was about 5 to a pot. They also came in these cool self watering, wick style, pots.

I found that they workers had over filled the containers and the plants were floating in the pots. As you can see I separated the plants into singles and doubles. The ones that were starting to rot are in the cups with a ? mark on them.

I moved a few bigger ponies into other pots also.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/injunjoetortman/Palms/100_8435.jpg

Joe
Yay! For ponytails! :bun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are lucky I was not here for the privet conversation!

I'm just going to say, Beefy, my husband ripped out the chinese one you told me to throw in the pond and ended up burning it... but I told him to let me take pictures when he did it, but he did not :( I bet you would have loved to see the flamed jumping off of it. It did roast good marshmellows!

Now... to rip and burn the Japanese pivet out!

(Though the JP is growing different kinds of mushroom on them AND I found spanish moss hanging on them... I need to go get pictures!)

Latest posts