Todays Score (Plants, Seeds, and Cuttings)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I rest my case, this is clearly a condition of 'Invasive Finger pointing'.

Sorry, no need to put any in a box for anyone to prove your point, if you have a problem with Privets then you best get a shovel and shears. One season without seeds and there are no privets!

The only reason someone would take this stance is if they are maintaining a strictly "Native" forested area. If that is the case then remove them now! All of them! Not many folks are maintaining such spaces in the their homes and gardens.

Besides, this is not a case of invasiveness otherwise they would be everywhere, this is a case of being very prolific! Those that do not tend find the invasive world around them! Those that tend find happy prolific plants.

I cheer the 'Score' with the reminder that anything you plant can be removed. The garden is the most forgiving of us all! It is when we feel we cannot step over the boundaries that others place on us is when we fail. Just as stepping out of our Zones or moving something in or out of shade.

I say go for it! :watering

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, first off I am not a goat herder or goat farmer, but I cannot find any reference to Privet (chinese or otherwise) killing a goat.

Actually, if you do a search you will find that it is quite common practice to utilize goats for the removal of Kudzu, Privet, honeysuckle and the like.

Only one reference was found in a blog where someone indicated that Privet (the fruit) can cause the milk to taste bad. It doesn't make the milk poisonous, just tastes bad is all. Probably a sensitive farmer's wife who had a 'hormone' displaced day (which by the way I know will effect taste).

I understand Oleander and such, but, again, if there were a problem don't you all think it would be plastered so that no one has a goat die because of this plant??

I even read several situations where people with goats complained they did not have enough privet and poison ivy to keep their goats happy! Now why would they say that?

I am sorry. I won't post here in this section again. I am obviously freaking out on how someone can refer to a plant as invasive, poisonous, and now 'hideous'.

Besides, most animals are aware of what is good and what is bad for them...unless they are completely restricted and any leaf is a godsend, then there is hardly much to worry about.

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
actually i just signed up for a program with my forester thru the USDA that will PAY to help eradicate chinese privet, tallow trees, japanese climbing fern, cogon grass, and some kind of rose that are all invasive and threatening the native flora and fauna in my area.

even tho they are "poisonous" my cows and goats eat them with no ill effects. if they were really that bad the animals wouldnt browse on them at all. as with most toxicity, a little is ok, its when they gorge on a lot that you have problems. as greens said, a lot of people utilize goats to clean up privet infested areas.

if you want to keep them maintained-fine. but if you want a low maintenance non-invasive fast growing windbreak there are better options.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just so you know, Ron, i was not trying to prove a point. Crystal has a box coming from me with some other items in it. I will happily share what does not work for me but might work for someone else. (Is it my imagination, or am i getting the third degree about the way i choose to appreciate what is around me?) :/

Crystal, are they THAT poisonous? How scary. I didn't realize. I don't have goats or horses, so i haven't thought about that. I only researched long enough to know that they are not something i could use as an herb or a food. I feel kind of bad for bursting your bubble about your great score. It's still a really great score, and if it weren't for the poison thing, the privets might've been great for you. They're simply not helpful to me around here. :hugs

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
for the record, i think privets are pretty plants.

plus, its not like other people dont have them planted all around their houses.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I said they're hideous if you don't take care of them......they get very scragly and long and unattractive - in my humble - personal - possibly despised - opinion. :hide geez

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will have to do some digging and see what I can find out about toxicity levels. Because I would really like to plant them. I just have a lot of time, effort, EMOTION, and $$ tied up in my goats so I am nervous whenever I read that something is poisonous.

So, I will do some research and then decide if they go or stay.

Ron, to be honest I did not read a whole lot further when I saw the word "poisonous" pop up on several Google links. :/ So in all fairness, before I yank them out of their little pots (because I do like the looks of them), I will find "the dirt" on this issue. And if all turns out to be OK, I will probably go over to our friends and get a few dozen more to line the whole front of our property. :thumbsup

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello my friends!
Sorry I have been very busy today! I was eating dinner and read all of this. Worked on a large tree today. Got wood to heat my sunroom for two winters.

I must say, if a goat was to enter a land with full grown shrubs of a poisonous type then yes one would expect trouble.

But for a mere seedling to sprout and be eaten pert near the moment it set it's embryotic leaves above the soil line would be a little far fetched to think in terms of harm to a goat.

Yes some plants maybe, but this is just a harmless shrub that tends to want to be aggressive in it's growth. Not like that darned Paper mulberry/take over/useless/ itchy/......

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Joe! Glad you got some good wodd. We have SO much out there from our tree-trimming friends that we use only a couple of space heaters and a fireplace for heat.

injunjoe said:
Yes some plants maybe, but this is just a harmless shrub that tends to want to be aggressive in it's growth. Not like that darned Paper mulberry/take over/useless/ itchy/......
Joe
:lol:

You will be glad to know that upon your advice I pulled those paper mulberry starts up and tossed them aside the same day you told me how aweful they are....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Hey Joe! Glad you got some good wodd. We have SO much out there from our tree-trimming friends that we use only a couple of space heaters and a fireplace for heat.

injunjoe said:
Joe
:lol:

You will be glad to know that upon your advice I pulled those paper mulberry starts up and tossed them aside the same day you told me how aweful they are....
Thank you! That makes me feel warm inside!

This tree was huge I did today! A large Oak. I had to remove a branch hanging over a condo. I am happy to say not even a little twig hit the roof.

Weird day though, Here it was 82 in the shade and I am worried about collecting every twig for my woodburning stove in the sunroom. It also keeps the chickens warm as it is right near the coop windows.

Joe

Latest posts