Tomatillos, What to do with them?

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Collector said:
Okay, so what's a tomatillo? :hide
Collector, they are also called husk tomato they are akin to ground cherrie s& Chinese lantern's etc.
tomatillo.jpeg

RDRanch, I agree, they do have small an abundant seeds..and with your customer in the need to only plant once...I do wish I had planted them originally where I could have let them naturalize....and Not in a needed spot in the smaller of the 2 gardens...
maybe, if they volunteer next year (odds are that IF I WANT them too...they won't :lol:) I will re-locate a few to a sunny corner and let them do their thing...undisturbed :tools

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rdranch After I was told what they were I googled them and there were alot of recipes using them. You could probably find one you like that way. I don't know anything so I google everything LOL.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RDRANCH said:
pharmerphil said:
I can tell You what NOT to do with them...:D
Don't leave any mature tomatillos anywhere on, in or near your garden...We planted them in 2004, had a early frost, I hurried with clean up...This spring, I was still hoeing out volunteer tomatillo's:/
While discussing gardening with one of my customers, she told me that you only plant them once!

What really impressed me about the plants is their size. It always amazes me how big plants can get from the tiniest of seeds. :)
I had two Purple Tomatillos and I failed them. They all bloomed and were getting nice fruits, then I decided to used a water gage, and I killed them due to lack of water. Some much for gages. :hit

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have been trying different things with the tomatillos. The favorite has been making fresh salsas and eating them with chips our using it as a sauce on chicken.

Smoking them on the grill with tomatoes, onions and jalapenos has been the best. And I still add some chipotle to it as well. I am kind of a hot chili junkie.

I must say tomatillos will now always be a part of future gardens, I love how easy they are to grow and they produce so much!:D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a handful sitting on the counter and couldn't figure out what to do with them...so, I just added them to a fresh marinara sauce and it tasted great. They really do have an interesting flavor and the chickens won't touch them!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We gardeners are a strange breed. I've done that same thing; get curious about a plant so I grow a few and then at harvest time I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it. :hu

Latest posts