Tomato 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I again made tomato soup.

I'm trying to freeze it but this is a first time. Quart bags? If it doesn't harden, it won't work very well - I'd have to put them in a rigid container as I've done with some jams. Pasta sauce works fine in bags; frozen, it's as hard as a rock in there.

Mostly, Bloody Butcher and those Jellybeans went into the soup. Quick and easy, it's tasty and I could have made more but need to find out about the freezing process.

Steve

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I'm trying to freeze it but this is a first time. Quart bags? If it doesn't harden, it won't work very well - I'd have to put them in a rigid container as I've done with some jams. Pasta sauce works fine in bags; frozen, it's as hard as a rock in there.

Mostly, Bloody Butcher and those Jellybeans went into the soup. Quick and easy, it's tasty and I could have made more but need to find out about the freezing process.

Steve
I freeze my tomato soup in qt bags. Lay them flat on cookie sheet till frozen then they stack easy in the freezer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I freeze my tomato soup in qt bags. Lay them flat on cookie sheet till frozen then they stack easy in the freezer.

for the squash i stack the flat gallon bags on top of each other and then freeze them all together so they won't slide around and they stay like that until i pry one off as a nice block in the freezer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I freeze my tomato soup in qt bags.
It works!

Just!-right-size boxes would help in freezer.

I won't have to worry about it squeezing out under weight. Shelves in the upright, now that we have it, may work for the pear & apple butter. I see that Bartlett Pears have made it to the soopermarket so it is time ... now, if it will just Cool Off! Another 100°f day (38°C) ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked tomatoes this morning, almost finished canning most of them. once this batch comes out of sealing then i can fill and put the next batch in. i have a 10 minute break here and we just had brunch. :)

we'd taken a quart of vegetable soup out of the freezer to have and then there were some extra tomato chunks from the first batch that we included. very yum! :) :) :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lennie & Grace Kentucky Heirloom and Nips
20220907_180140.jpg
20220905_164654.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Steve
Ball makes jars that you can freeze.
I first heard of this in a You Tube that suggested when you have too many tomatoes to can, get These jars, put the tomatoes in whole, freeze them, and get back to them later.
They can also be used for just freezing.
The tomatoes will behave just like those bagged up and frozen. The skins will slough off and the meaty parts/seeds will be left.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ball makes jars that you can freeze.
I first heard of this in a You Tube that suggested when you have too many tomatoes to can, get These jars, put the tomatoes in whole, freeze them, and get back to them later.
They can also be used for just freezing.
The tomatoes will behave just like those bagged up and frozen. The skins will slough off and the meaty parts/seeds will be left.

we don't vaccuum seal or use solely wide mouth jars. just leave enough head space for things to expand. once in a while one may crack or break but on the whole this is how we freeze a lot of soups or other portions of things and yes we do allow things to cool off before putting them in the freezer.

if i want a tight seal i'll reuse old lids and warm them up before cranking the rings on them. works fine.

best of all, nothing smells or tastes like freezer burn.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Almost time to say goodbye to fresh off the vine tomatoes. 😒

May's Green Pineapple
20220908_152548.jpg

Wapsipinicon Peach
20220908_152438.jpg

Van Wert Ohio, fantastic taste
20220908_152219.jpg

Prue, this one was a big mama, huge lunkers
20220908_151848.jpg

Korol Sibiri Oranzhevyi, Russian paste type, was a really excellent producer.
20220908_152004.jpg

Power's Heirloom, thought it was a paste but was pretty juicy
20220908_152920.jpg

Latest posts