Tomato blossom end rot

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
all i add to the above is that if you have early fruits developing that the root system cannot adequately supply with nutrients then those are the likely first signs you will see of BER. to let the plant develop a better root system you can remove some of the early fruits and then may not see any further issue.

this season for us had so many rains early that the plants were not getting big at first and were also not flowering much too early. i saw some spots that looked like BER at first, but i don't think it was.

highly acid soils can be amended with some agricultural lime or other forms of calcium, some with some grit in it would be likely longer lasting than just the powdered forms.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Allowing the soil to become too dry is what I have blamed for blossom end rot. Steve

She put the plant in the ground and forgets to water. Her neighbor has been watering for her when he waters his tomato plant. She picked another good one yesterday. The ones that had the end rot were bigger in size.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you all. I am not sure with her soil if there is calcium. She is lucky to get 1 tomato in that ground plus the way she waters and not much sunlight. She is pretty happy with her little tomato plant. I was worried when I posted that all her tomatoes were like that, but apparently not.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh, ok. plus what you say above about uneven watering. those plants are going to have to struggle to give good fruits all the time.

you can't expect cadillac results from yabbadabbadoos...

I can't believe how big her plant is actually. I am not sure what the neighbor fertilized it with. Older man being neighborly.

Latest posts