tomato plants from seeds

Reaction score
I Started my tomatoes from seed back in Feb. way to early I think now
They are now close to 12 inches tall. I started them in a little mini greenhouse that you would get from walmart
and put a single 40 watt lightbulb under it for warmth. They sprouted rather quickley as comopared to not useing anything for heat.
Melissa

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used an old heating pad wrapped in a pillow case. It doesn't turn itself off (a perk of using something very,very old found at a garage sale!). I also put water in the bottom, so that they would "bottom feed" nice warm water. Seems to be working--pics soon.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so disappointed in my seeds! After spending $100 on a heat mat, $50 on a lamp, seedling mix, peat cups, I have only 5 brandywines that look decent. My Creole seeds were a big disappointment - they are still tiny and don't have their second leaves yet - they are just not growing! I'll be buying started plants at the nursery. :rolleyes: I hope you have better luck than I did!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't give up SouthernGardener. I lost hope in some of my seedlings last year, and just popped them in my cold frame, expecting them to die. They were a little slow, but they ended up great. I purchased some plants too, and in a very short while, I couldn't tell the difference!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Don't give up SouthernGardener. I lost hope in some of my seedlings last year, and just popped them in my cold frame, expecting them to die. They were a little slow, but they ended up great. I purchased some plants too, and in a very short while, I couldn't tell the difference!
Thanks for the encouraging words lesa - I'm wondering if I should put them outside? The temp today is in the 80's

dust bunny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I think you could start them.

1. Soak them in warm water for an hour or two before you plant them. This will give them a little start.

2. Make sure you put your pots somewhere warm 70-75 degrees (don't bake them).

3. Once they develop they second set of true leaves, start to harden them slowing in the shade. With your temps it should only take a week to harden because you have decent night temps.

With soaking them and keeping the soil warm you can get your seeds to germinate in about 4-7 days. I always use warm tap water and it speeds up the germination. You can probably have them ready in about 4-5 weeks.

I started my tomatoes on 10 March and have been transplanting into bigger pots over the last week. I did a bunch yesterday. If I had your temps I could start to harden the first ones now but alas they will stay in the green house a bit longer.
what does it mean to harden them?
sorry im clueless :/

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted mine outside when they were only 2 inches tall and just had their fist set of true leaves. They did fine, you just have to harden them off well and make sure they are well protected form ANY wind, since they are so small.

I put mine inside 5 gallon buckets with the bottoms cut off. But then, not everyone has to worry about 60 mile an hour spring winds. :rolleyes:

Latest posts