Tomatoes in Your Garden

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding the rabbit bedding; did you just use it as top dressing or work it in? I don't speak from personal experience, but aren't the BTE folks saying you can top dress with fresh material but not work it in the soil? (If it is worked in, then the plants will be nitrogen deficient)?
I really have no idea why gardens do well some years and bad other years. One of the tomatoes I grew from seed, I gave to my son. It is producing like crazy for him, large tomatoes. Mine are golf ball size.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sweet banana's and gypsy peppers are bearing very well. I have a huge problem getting bell peppers to do much. Maybe Yankees will next year as short heat, drought killed myn2 starts....sorry @Nyboy next year as Instill have sme seeds.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So one of my varieties this year is Indigo Rose. Frankly i expected them to be closer to a Sweet Pea Currant size, but that is not the case :/

P7300084.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Bloody Butcher ... Right beside them is the regular leaf Bloody Butcher which, if anything, are even more covered with fruit! I'm hoping it's something special ... I don't really grow varieties I don't like, it's obviously the offspring of a cross, so it's bound to be good. That's simple logic, right ;)?

Just the difference in leaf type is something but I hope the fruit is different in some way. Of course, I may not know until 2017, or later. Imagining a pink or yellow Bloody Butcher ...
IMG_20160801_153600.jpg
Well, they will be red. You can see that they are not quite round like the Bloody Butcher:
IMG_20160801_154245.jpg

I didn't put the knife in the picture for size comparison but the mystery tomatoes are a little bigger and the shape must be what is called "oblate." Nothing unusual in all this, just different from the Bloody Butcher and different in one way or another from the 20+ varieties in the tomato patch with them ;).

Edit: & yes, that is dill growing beside the Bloody Butcher. The dill weed may be most anywhere in my garden. I really like their fragrance and have real trouble pulling them out as an unwanted ...

Steve

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20160804_084843775_HDR.jpg
This is a Thessaloniki plant. Yes, it's ancestors were grown by Thessalonians. It was the first heirloom that I deliberately grew. Turns out I was growing several over the years without knowing that they were heirlooms ;). By the way, I may be older than this variety ... it was a commercial type and brought to the US during the 50's.

Thessaloniki does real well in my garden :).

IMG_20160804_194858.jpg

It's the larger, orange-red tomato at the top. Some of these are the very first tomatoes of their variety for the year!

It kinda isn't very fair to do that but, unlike often, these aren't deformed. I don't know how Amy Sue, there on the left, produced a nearly-ripe fruit so early ... it was the only one on the plant like this.

Top right is a Bloody Butcher which has produced several ripe fruits so far. It's there for comparison with the 2016 mystery tomato, from BB seed. That fruit is the first off the plant. I'm calling it Sally, for now and I've yet to taste it.

To its left is a Woodle Witz, named by @marshallsmyth . I'm happy with that little orange tomato and DW especially likes its flavor.
And, then we are back to Amy Sue ;).

Steve

Latest posts