Tomatoes! Looking Forward

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend we were up at our cabin and I found Spineless Beauty in a 4". I bought it knowing I really don't have room for it. :hide I should have taken a picture and ordered seeds for next year instead. Oh well....

Mary

What's a Spineless Beauty? Not such a catchy name from a marketing viewpoint....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
A big ol' pearly pink Brandywine! :drool Big enough that one slice will cover the entire sandwich and then some! I tried them for the first time back in '06, fell completely and totally in love with this variety and won't be planting a garden without them anymore.

I'll plant Brandywine, Mr. Stripey, Beefsteak and Sweet One Million, along with a few Amish Paste a friend sent to me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a favorite. Isn't that sad?
This year I started Buffalo Steak, Carmello and Legend. And I don't remember my reasons for any of them, other than that it was probably my bedtime and I was drowsy and easily influenced by descriptive prose and pretty pictures.
Yes, I'm a pathetic tomato gardener! :hit
But optimistic! :ya Every year I hope for the one that will be "mine".
Maybe this is my year. :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a favorite. Isn't that sad?
This year I started Buffalo Steak, Carmello and Legend. And I don't remember my reasons for any of them, other than that it was probably my bedtime and I was drowsy and easily influenced by descriptive prose and pretty pictures.
Yes, I'm a pathetic tomato gardener! :hit
But optimistic! :ya Every year I hope for the one that will be "mine".
Maybe this is my year. :)

I am the same way, one day I will plant the magic tomato for our garden and the rest will be thrown to the side. Except for sweet 100s and a couple other regulars. I have no confidence that the two new varieties this year are it. But I'm willing to be surprised lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... I will plant the magic tomato for our garden and the rest will be thrown to the side. Except for sweet 100s and a couple other regulars.
See, it's possible to have more than one "favorite!"

I have said that Thessaloniki is a favorite. It's been a surefire heirloom for many years. Holds up great. Healthy plants.Recommended by a departed friend. Adopted by a departed friend ...

Sungold is almost too sweet for me. I can understand why some people don't like it ... but, I do! Sun Sugar is less likely to split!

Accept for its small size (& too weird name :eek:), I don't know why anyone would dislike Bloody Butcher.

BIG tomato goodness: I feel I'm real close to the best being able to grow Gary O Sena!

Snacking in the garden -- the gold cherries are great but I'd be real disappointed to not have Sweet Chelsea ...

Steve
who has a nagging feeling that he has left about 6 varieties unmentioned ..!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "perfect tomato for my garden" may differ from one year to the next. In fact, there is not a single tomato that consistently does good for me. Big Beef sometimes does OK, but is not particularly prolific. I am using more fertilizer this year, hoping that will help. And I have them on ridges, hoping to prevent drowning. Now to grow past the herbicide taint that is curling the leaves....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, Better Boys-take heat, wet, dry nice size that one slice will cover a sandwich. San Marzano's for salsa.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "perfect tomato for my garden" may differ from one year to the next. In fact, there is not a single tomato that consistently does good for me. Big Beef sometimes does OK, but is not particularly prolific. I am using more fertilizer this year, hoping that will help. And I have them on ridges, hoping to prevent drowning. Now to grow past the herbicide taint that is curling the leaves....

@so lucky , would you be able to get them going in low tunnels, at least until the spray threat is past?
That might also be a solution to the drowning issue which seems to have been plagueing you for a few seasons. Or maybe even a little hoop house....

Latest posts