Garden Master
Reaction score
steakhouse.jpg
Finally steakhouse tomatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fun reading back through the thread until I got to this:

... but I just bet sowing Coyote seeds will turn out in a satisfactory way :).
Guess saying that jinxed the effort. I knew that I had plenty of seed; didn't imagine that none would germinate. I think that my direct-sowing attempt went wrong maybe just because of where the "seedbed" was. The sprinkler hit it too strongly and washed the seed out of the ground.

I have another Coyote plant that started life in the 2018 greenhouse. It wasn't especially early in production and I'm okay with that, and having only one plant. The fruit is so unusual. I like it but ... I don't need more than one plant.

There are several volunteers this year. DW wanted ornamental wheat and we put in a bed near the 2017 tomato patch location. The wheat had terrible germination so there was room for the volunteers. Several plants have green fruit. I have no idea what they are o_O. The fruit all looks about the same, small but larger than cherries.

I'll post a picture of Gary O Sena today :).

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fun reading back through the thread until I got to this:

Guess saying that jinxed the effort. I knew that I had plenty of seed; didn't imagine that none would germinate. I think that my direct-sowing attempt went wrong maybe just because of where the "seedbed" was. The sprinkler hit it too strongly and washed the seed out of the ground.

I have another Coyote plant that started life in the 2018 greenhouse. It wasn't especially early in production and I'm okay with that, and having only one plant. The fruit is so unusual. I like it but ... I don't need more than one plant.

There are several volunteers this year. DW wanted ornamental wheat and we put in a bed near the 2017 tomato patch location. The wheat had terrible germination so there was room for the volunteers. Several plants have green fruit. I have no idea what they are o_O. The fruit all looks about the same, small but larger than cherries.

I'll post a picture of Gary O Sena today :).

Steve
Do you always direct sow? It looks like your latitude is about the same as mine. I could never get tomatoes with direct sowing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, @catjac1975 , it was a very first time.

I don't always get a ripe fruit off a volunteer tomato plant. Or, if I do, it's one - right down at the base of the stem.

Coyote was just so successful at volunteering and the volunteers would ripen fruit. So, I tampered with the process - got nuthin!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our tomatoe patch has not gotten any real care this season, it has turned into a tomato thicket. I will give update on it here.
We planted 20 Roma’s from seed we got from Sandhill. I have spotted 3 plants of the 20 that are not Roma, one has been putting out tons of red plum size fruits not sure what they might be but they are kind of dense and meaty so DW been using them in salads and cooking. The other two look like they are both the same variety but are on the interior of the thicket so have not looked at them close up. Also no ripe fruit on them yet. The other 17 are Roma and have lots of tomatoes on them that is going to start ripening as we speak.
Also have 2 Early girl that have been putting out for a while now but are going to start ripening a lot more soon.
We have 2 sungold ,2 sunsugar , and 2 sweet 100s growing and really producing right now with lots more blooms everyday.
In the new to me category this year we have the Eckerts pink polish that we have only picked 3 ripe so far. There is a lot of tomatoes on the vine right now plus lots of blooms still coming.
New Yorkers are also new and pretty impressive so far. There are some around Tennis ball size or just a smidge bigger that will be ripe maybe today but for sure in the next couple days. They still have blooms and lots of tomatoes in every stage of growth. We have 2 plants that might be 3 feet tall but I think shorter.
Lastly we have the Alberto shatters. I trying to figure out what to say about them, they are a small tomatoe, the size is like between a red currant and a raspberry. I read they were mostly used for making jam and such. The taste is regular tomato taste not acidy or sweet. The plant is totally huge and unmanageable . Is like 4’ tall and 6’ wide and just a thick tangle of vines and tiny/useless fruits. I read somewhere that you can plant them in a unused corner and when they drop there fruit it shatters and reseed itself. I could not imagine how many would grow the next year but it would be bad news, all you would be able to do is dive in the middle of them with a Bowie knife clenched in your teeth and try to tame the patch. Sadly You would probably lose and just be turned into fertilizer to feed the damn things.
It going to be cooler today so I am going to get my bucket of twine and pruners, try to get the tomato thicket straightened out before the Roma’s start to ripen.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our tomatoe patch has not gotten any real care this season, it has turned into a tomato thicket. I will give update on it here.
We planted 20 Roma’s from seed we got from Sandhill. I have spotted 3 plants of the 20 that are not Roma, one has been putting out tons of red plum size fruits not sure what they might be but they are kind of dense and meaty so DW been using them in salads and cooking. The other two look like they are both the same variety but are on the interior of the thicket so have not looked at them close up. Also no ripe fruit on them yet. The other 17 are Roma and have lots of tomatoes on them that is going to start ripening as we speak.
Also have 2 Early girl that have been putting out for a while now but are going to start ripening a lot more soon.
We have 2 sungold ,2 sunsugar , and 2 sweet 100s growing and really producing right now with lots more blooms everyday.
In the new to me category this year we have the Eckerts pink polish that we have only picked 3 ripe so far. There is a lot of tomatoes on the vine right now plus lots of blooms still coming.
New Yorkers are also new and pretty impressive so far. There are some around Tennis ball size or just a smidge bigger that will be ripe maybe today but for sure in the next couple days. They still have blooms and lots of tomatoes in every stage of growth. We have 2 plants that might be 3 feet tall but I think shorter.
Lastly we have the Alberto shatters. I trying to figure out what to say about them, they are a small tomatoe, the size is like between a red currant and a raspberry. I read they were mostly used for making jam and such. The taste is regular tomato taste not acidy or sweet. The plant is totally huge and unmanageable . Is like 4’ tall and 6’ wide and just a thick tangle of vines and tiny/useless fruits. I read somewhere that you can plant them in a unused corner and when they drop there fruit it shatters and reseed itself. I could not imagine how many would grow the next year but it would be bad news, all you would be able to do is dive in the middle of them with a Bowie knife clenched in your teeth and try to tame the patch. Sadly You would probably lose and just be turned into fertilizer to feed the damn things.
It going to be cooler today so I am going to get my bucket of twine and pruners, try to get the tomato thicket straightened out before the Roma’s start to ripen.
That was like reding a adult novel

Latest posts