tomatoes not turning red!?!

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My tomato plants have TONS of tomatoes on them - but they're not ripening.......i saw my friends garden about 20 miles north of me & she's having the same problem. All of her plants are filled, but no red!

anyone know whats going on??

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have not tried it yet but some people swear by red mulch plastic. I bought some red plastic tablecloths from the dollar store but have not put them down yet as my toms are just now starting to form. I was planning on tucking it around my plants as i have them planted all in a row in raised beds. Was going to make a slit in the plastic and tuck it around the base. Have been so busy have not had time to do that yet.

They say the red color can encourage the toms to ripen.

:rainbow-sun

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought the red plastic mulch from an online garden supplier for the first time this year and have found that my tomatoes are turning red very quickly. I swear they seem to turn red overnight. It's amazing!! It was very cheap, it also keeps the weeds down and keeps moisture in.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If your weather is like mine, they will begin ripening now. It's been too hot. :)

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i'm gonna laugh if all them ripen at the same time. tomato overload hehe.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know you're on the opposite coast as me, but we're having the same problem around here in Indiana. And my cousin in NC has said the same thing, too! Must be having some weather in common. But I went out today and I saw a few orange ones!! So I think you just need to be patient. :)

Latest posts