tomatoes not turning red!?!

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sarah_Mom2Four said:
adondro said:
You know, I don't know what zone I am in. Where can I go to find out?
Anne
Go here and enter you zipcode :)
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/
Thanks for posting that website Sarah. Very helpful. I'm in zone 10 and have a million tomatoes of all varieties. I just love them. It's been unusually cool and they taste great but not as good as when it's really hot. I wonder if the sun makes them sweeter.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We've been going through the same thing. So has everyone we know. General consensus was weather.

Personally as the canner/preserver, I'm enjoying the slower pace.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to pitch a product, but there is a salad dressing by Briana called Zesty French that is so delicious drizzled on ripe tomatoes it almost makes you cry. I have 2 bottles in my cupboard....now hurry up tomatoes.

Anne....in Zone 8B

sharehome

Sprout
Reaction score
I am in zone 5a and I have only 1 cherry tomato turning orange. We were away camping for 4 days and I found myself hoping I was going to come back to a whole pile of red ripe tomatoes but no. Green might be my favourite colour but not on tomatoes.

You know the saying a watched pot never boils, I think it should be a watched tomato never ripens.. :/

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something seems to be a little off with everyone's maters in my area. I, myself, have deep green lush growth, big healthy plants, but small, dark green tomatoes that are slow to ripen and not very tasty when they do. Last year I had huge, very sweet tomatoes....same type of maters planted, so its not individual to a specific type.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have alot of green tomatoes as well. The growth has been amazing and I still have new ones coming out, but the only ones that have turned red are the cherries and juliets. According to the maturity date on the tag these aren't even due to ripen for another two weeks.
I was thinking that they are ripening early because they are smaller but the yellow pear tomatoes are not ripe at all. I am amazed at how many I have of those on one vine. The Juliets are the same way there are clusters of them.
I planted the zebra tomatoes and I am not even sure how to tell when they are ready since they are green anyway. I am assuming the stripes get lighter and more of a gold color.