Tomatoes - Tons of Blooms NO more tomatoes?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some day I will grow a tomato plant that is taller than the 4 foot fence. Might have to give it a leg up in a foot tall pot and move a few hundred miles south or east. LOL

I hear just taking a rolled up news paper and gently "beating" the plants also works to pollinate them.

Dodgegal79

Leafing Out
Reaction score
LOL, I'm sure some of mine are taller then 4ft, they are monsters, with no tomates. I got some heritage beefsteak seeds.

panner123

Sprout
Reaction score
vfem said:
My DH is clearing a plot for our spring veggi garden to go next year, and I just don't want to be bummed over the tomatoes and other plants failing to produce next year. We need to grow enough for us and my family. . :)
Be sure to put a HIGH fence up to keep the deer out.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
^^^ I'm not as worried about deer as I am of my own hungry chickens!

I came back to thank everyone for the help. All three of my tomato plants are COVERED. I have more cherry tomatoes then I can count, and a good dozen or so Roma tomatoes... and I know those are moody.

So in a few weeks I should have tons of ripe ones!!! I'm thrilled I found you guys.

Lets see if my massive garden will survive next year!

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ive only had a garden for a few years now, but I could not live without my blossom spray. I found this in a Burpee catalog. I thought what the heck, I'll try it. The first time I used it I went crazy with the stuff! Spraying everything!! Well that year I had watermelons and tomatoes coming out my ears. Ive learned not to spray so much and would recommend this spray to everyone.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is consistently over something like 94 degrees day after day, tomatoes get blossom drop. Yes, pollinating them helps, but actually, just bumping the flowers is doing the polliunating. Their pollen is inside the anther cones, but some spills to outside them.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
If it is consistently over something like 94 degrees day after day, tomatoes get blossom drop. Yes, pollinating them helps, but actually, just bumping the flowers is doing the polliunating. Their pollen is inside the anther cones, but some spills to outside them.
You nailed it. Tomatos are very sensitive to temperatures, both day and night. The blossoms will not set on most varieties till the night time temps reach 50 degrees and the pollen dies or becomes weak when the daytime temps reach 90 degrees or above. There are special varieties bred to stretch those temps that are meant for cooler or hotter climates. As to helping plants pollinate just giving the plant a good shake once in a while will release the pollen. A windy day will do it for you. All tomato varieties I know of are self pollinating although they will also pollinate close by plants.

Latest posts