Tomatoes

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We do about 24 tomato plants a year here in raised beds and pots.

The cages are made of wire used for reinforcing concrete pours. It's 60" wide (tall), with 6" or 8" squares, rolled into 'tubes' about 30" in diameter. I bought this at the hardware store, and have been using it for at least ten years. The biggest problem is storing it behind the shed each winter when I tear out the old plants.

I get 6 to 8 plants into a 4'x8' bed, and lots of yield. More than enough to give away.:cool:

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The cages are made of wire used for reinforcing concrete pours. It's 60" wide (tall), with 6" or 8" squares, rolled into 'tubes' about 30" in diameter. I bought this at the hardware store, and have been using it for at least ten years. The biggest problem is storing it behind the shed each winter when I tear out the old plants.
Thats what I use.

I usually have around 75 tomato plants every year.

Storage isn't really an issue for me because I have the room!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
seedcorn said:
I crowd mine as well. Bear fine, just hard (for me impossible) to see tomato worms. cages have been a waste of money for me. Tried stakes/baling twine--didn't like it. So this year I've got a bunch of posts, will tie some to posts. I also use straw so that they don't rot from dirt.

Tomatoes are very resilent.
You may want to check my post on reusable tomato cages. They are inexpensive when you consider how many years they last.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28426
Very neat idea! Today I staked and trimmed and mulched the rest of the tomatoes. I need a few stakes to finish the job.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never had much luck with the cages, but am using them again this year for no apparant reason. I have the determinates in the cages, and am staking the indeterminates. We'll see how it goes...:)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a "trellis" made out of the innards of an old queen size box frame. I am trying some climbing tomatoes to it with pole beans on the edges.

Latest posts