Tomatos in pots..

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK we have all been talking about the topsy turvey.. tomatos.. so I do know that containers will grow in some type of container..

But can I grow my tomatos in big ole pots.. I just got a bunch from my MIL.. kinda neat..

But now I need plants to grow in them..

I have lots of tomato seedlings.. :idunno

Need some input please.. :)

:pop

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think a bush or determinate variety will do best but if you plant the other kind just stake it. make sure that the pot is big enough to support proper root development and water. Also make sure that you fertilize and have good soil to start with as once it is in the pot it cant get anymore nutrients than you give it.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My GD grew a great cherry tomato plant in a big pot last summer. I think it was a Sweet 100.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Another tip for growing anything in pots is to line the sides of the pots with layers of newspaper to help retain moisture as soil seems to dry out pretty fast in pots.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year my tomatoes only had one choice... I had no garden tilled or any fancy raised bed. Come july I wanted last minute tomatoes and I plopped them all out on the deck in pots. I got a great amount of cherry tomatoes... wasn't so thrilled with my globe tomatoes. However, I think that was my fault.

Go for it... with love and fertlizer (and a good size pot) they should do fine!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
Another tip for growing anything in pots is to line the sides of the pots with layers of newspaper to help retain moisture as soil seems to dry out pretty fast in pots.
Great idea. never heard this before. I guess a ball of newspaper in the bottom might be ok too.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pot drying out is the biggest problem with container gardening in Colorado. I have lined pots with garbage bags with holes poked in the bottom too. Another thing that helps is if you mulch the top of the pot.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is a GREAT BIG OLE pot, sure, it will work fine, though you won't get quite the harvest you'd get growing in the ground.

My two main tips would be: 1) insulate the pot or (easier) set it into some sort of larger enclosure (larger cachepot, make a wooden box around it, whatever) to shade and insulate the pot so the soil doesn't get so hot in July and August; and 2) either set up an auto watering system or plan to water once or twice daily because they use up water really really fast and letting them dry out just a couple times can really mess up your harvest.

Have fun,

Pat

Latest posts