Too Big Cucmbers

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
recipes please!!! I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in cucumbers here soon so any help I can get is greatly appreciated

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
herbsherbsflowers said:
Carol Dee, I would like to see your recipe also.
As soon as I get my friend to get it for me. Seems to have lost my copy :(
(Probably during house fire) :barnie I seem to keep missing things 3 years later. :idunno

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carrot and Cucumber Relish
makes 5 to 6 half pints

4 cups finely chopped unpeeled cucumbers
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 T pickling salt
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp mustard seed
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp fennel seed

In a large bowl combine vegetables and salt. Mix well and let stand 4 hours to overnight. Drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain and press out as much water as possible. Set aside.

Prepare jars and hot water bath.

Combine remaining ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the drained vegetables. Increase heat and bring back up to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Don't worry if it seems to have too much liquid. It will thicken up as it cools.

Remove from heat and spoon into hot sterilized half pint jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims clean and place the lids on. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can freeze them for salads through the winter. Peel, and seed them, slice up the meaty part in salad like pieces and put in freezer bag w/ some vinegar based salad dressing and freeze.

They will not be mushy when you thaw and eat in you salad. I froze over 40 bags last year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
You can freeze them for salads through the winter. Peel, and seed them, slice up the meaty part in salad like pieces and put in freezer bag w/ some vinegar based salad dressing and freeze.

They will not be mushy when you thaw and eat in you salad. I froze over 40 bags last year.
What a great idea Kassaundra! If mine ever produce I'd like to try that. :)

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to believe that the frozen ones wouldn't be all mushy. I'll have to give that a try. Here's the next recipe

Dill Relish

4 pounds pickling cucumbers
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 tsp turmeric
2 cups water
1/2 pound onion
2 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp dill weed
1 Tbsp dill seed
2 cups white wine vinegar

Wash cucumbers. Cut off ends and chop fine. Place in a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with the salt and turmeric. Cover with the water and let soak for 2 to 6 hours. Drain and rinse well. Finely chop onions. Place cucumbers, onions and all remaining ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into jars. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process 15 minutes in hot water bath.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it is :

Pickle Relish

Grind together and add 1 cup salt:
12 lbs. cucumbers
12 onions
2 green peppers

Let stand overnight. Drain.

Cook with:
2 tsp celery seed (if desired)
2 Tbl flour
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard seed
12 whole cloves
7 cups sugar
1 qt vinegar

Cook 1/2 hour. Put in jars & seal.
Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Makes about 12 pints.

It does make a large batch :D

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You could slice them in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and use them as little "boats" to hold chicken or tuna salad, or dip.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
herbsherbsflowers said:
It's kind of hard to believe that the frozen ones wouldn't be all mushy. I'll have to give that a try. Here's the next recipe

Dill Relish

4 pounds pickling cucumbers
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 tsp turmeric
2 cups water
1/2 pound onion
2 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp dill weed
1 Tbsp dill seed
2 cups white wine vinegar

Wash cucumbers. Cut off ends and chop fine. Place in a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with the salt and turmeric. Cover with the water and let soak for 2 to 6 hours. Drain and rinse well. Finely chop onions. Place cucumbers, onions and all remaining ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into jars. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process 15 minutes in hot water bath.
That is what I thought when I first heard about it, so I tried on one bag froze it for a few days then thawed it out, and was shocked it wasn't all mushy. When you thaw them you will think it didn't work they will "look" like they are mushy, but just take a few out and try them, they will be good.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
herbsflowers, I like the sound of the carrot and pickle- that is one I will try!
Kassaundra, it is hard to believe they aren't mushy- I will try the experiment!