Too Early?

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's March 1st, and the HIGH today was -4*. There is talk that the frost is anywhere from 6'-8' feet deep. I just bought a bunch of seed packets yesterday out of desperation for anything resembling spring. My thought is to start the tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and watermelon here in the house today or tomorrow. When it gets warm enough, I want to move them to the cattle-panel greenhouse we are going to build (once the snow is gone), to harden them off before planting in the garden. The last time I started plants in the house they got spindly and didn't do very well. DH told me that it was because I started them too soon (I think I started them in Feb. that year). What is the expert opinion out there? I'm in west-central MN, zone 3-4.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm, probably too early, but i did it anyway. :) i'm a zone 4 in Montana, and i only started a few things, just for the heck of it. The onions will be fine, i started seed to use as green onion. The 2 cabbages and 6 brussel sprouts (which i've never grown before) will probably not do very well, but what the heck, its only a few plants! I plan on moving them into the greenhouse as soon as we reasonably can, uhhhhhh maybe end of march or April? Hard to tell this year. :/ i'm planning on starting tomatoes and peppers in a few weeks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 5/4 where March 15th is the earliest we are told to start coles, 'maters, peppers, and such like. Onions and leeks are earlier if you want to put plants rather than sets out and all the heat loving melons, squash, pumpkins, and cukes are to be kept warm in their packets until the end of April at the earliest -- and even then they have to be started inside -- unless you have a way to warm the soil and cover the seedlings.

These are NOT a hard and fast rules -- I am not really into rules -- but suggestions based upon normal weather conditions in zone 5/4. There have been years when I started seeds too early and was successful. There have been years when I was not successful.

Go ahead and give a few seeds an early start, but don't put all your seeds in one basket too early.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobbi-j, even if you don't get the green house put up, you could make a temporary "cold frame" on your east or south side, and harden off the plants there. I have started cabbage and broccoli plants, but I am in zone 6.
Make sure they have plenty of light, and keep the air circulating around them, to avoid getting leggy.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have some packets of old seeds (some go as far back as 2006) that I might start, just for the heck of it to get it out of my system, and save my newer ones for later. If it doesn't work, oh well. At least I'll find out if these things are still viable, and if they're not, I'm not out anything but a little of my time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . melons, squash, pumpkins, and cukes are to be kept warm in their packets until the end of April at the earliest -- and even then they have to be started inside -- unless you have a way to warm the soil and cover the seedlings. . .

There is probably no way you could keep the watermelon alive for 3 months before setting out in the garden. Your local Cooperative Extension may have a calendar online for dates but if "end of April" is best "in south-est, central-est Wisconsin," I am guessing that anytime is March is too early for your melon, Bobbi-J.

Peppers are perennials, they will just make a crop their first season and don't survive in our outdoor climate anywhere that has frosts. They are also heat-loving plants and grow slowly in what we think of as "indoor" temperatures. If you have room and good indoor conditions for them, you can really start them anytime. For any plants, those good indoor conditions to meet their standards is important. Many, do not like to be root-bound so up-potting becomes necessary - that means more room.

Imagine having all the room in the world, in a greenhouse . . ! Sorry! Maybe just get some bright lights on around the house and pour a nice up of tea! Check with Cooperative Extension, Monday at the latest!

Steve

Here's where you can start looking for your Coop Ex office: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DigitS' - I love the idea of all the room in the world in a greenhouse. That greenhouse would be heated to about 80* and full of big, tropical plants, have lots of light shining in and maybe even have a goldfish pond. Sigh. Going to turn on some lights now and get the teakettle heating...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are not alone. DH started seed this week, too. We are in zone 4/5 , May get another 6 inches sow tonight. And a good week more of COLD, COLD weather. Like last year we will have BIG plants to set out. LOL.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anything I could say wouldn't be any use to you. I'm in southeast Texas--it was 70 degrees today......but if it makes you feel better, tomorrow night it will be freezing temperatures. :ep

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, Baymule, I'm packin' my bags - I can be there by Monday, I'm pretty sure. Now, where do I find you and your 70 degrees?

Latest posts