Too Early?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember starting south down the Idaho Goat Path in the snow one year . . .

it felt so good to get to Austin!

Then, I fell down a flight of stairs!!! See??!!

digitS'
things got worse for me after i arrived in florida, sheesh!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, Baymule, I'm packin' my bags - I can be there by Monday, I'm pretty sure. Now, where do I find you and your 70 degrees?
Find your way to Dallas, Texas. Go south on Interstate 45. Halfway between Dallas and Houston, hang a left and go 48 miles. You're there! :lol: I'll get the guest room ready for you!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Find your way to Dallas, Texas. Go south on Interstate 45. Halfway between Dallas and Houston, hang a left and go 48 miles. You're there! :lol: I'll get the guest room ready for you!

T- shirts, check. Shorts, check. Flip-flops, check. Ready or not, here I come!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember starting south down the Idaho Goat Path in the snow one year . . .

it felt so good to get to Austin!

Then, I fell down a flight of stairs!!! See??!!

digitS'
things got worse for me after i arrived in florida, sheesh!

Gee Steve, apparently you aren't cut out for southern livin'...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm always an early bird when it comes to seed starting. I've got peppers, tomatoes, and all my brassicas started, along with some herbs. I've found that keeping good lights on them really helps with the spindliness. (I think I just made up a word. :D) I always figure, if they don't work out, I'm just out a few seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a risk of relying on something that won't come thru.

I once had to buy 2 whole flats of zinnias! THAT should never have happened . . .

risk averse Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm also zone 3/4. I've started the onions and leeks. I would wait a few weeks on the peppers, but one thing I did last year at this time was a few spinach, mustard, and lettuce plants. They were transplanted out in April and I had very early greens. It was successful enough that I plan to do it again.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a risk of relying on something that won't come thru.

I once had to buy 2 whole flats of zinnias! THAT should never have happened . . .

risk averse Steve
Oh no, not the zinnias! :) I'm not going to rely on anything I start early. Not putting all my seeds in one basket, just gotta plant SOMETHING before I lose my mind completely. I really, really, need some warm weather.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm also zone 3/4. I've started the onions and leeks. I would wait a few weeks on the peppers, but one thing I did last year at this time was a few spinach, mustard, and lettuce plants. They were transplanted out in April and I had very early greens. It was successful enough that I plan to do it again.
Hmmm, there are onions in the old seed packets I found. We've always started them from sets. I also have some spinach and lettuce. It can't possibly hurt to give it a try.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My zinnias and marigolds are direct seeded in the garden when it warms up, maybe late April. I always have little spaces in rows that don't quite get filled, so I sprinkle some seeds there and transplant them when I'm ready. I use marigolds inside the rows to separate plantings. For example, I normally plant four half-rows of corn, wait 10 days to 2 weeks and plant the rest of those rows. I'll put marigolds in between. Or I grow cucumbers and pole beans on my garden fence. I'll put marigolds in that break between them.

Zinnias go at the ends of some rows. I almost always plant some zinnias at the ends of my corn rows, bush beans, squash and maybe some other things.

I don't do this for any companion planting benefits, protection against pests, or to attract pollinators. I do it because I think they are pretty.