Too Early?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Being a MinneSOHtan, I really accentuate my vowels.

I say PEE-oh-NEE, Miz-ur-EE, New Or-LEENs, Hew-ston.....

I also say CRAN instead of CRAY-on. My friends in Kentucky and Arkansas think it's just hilarious. They also make fun of the way I say certain profanities....but I won't post how I pronounce those :plbb

Oh I know exactly what you're saying ... :D I'm about an hour south, near Forest Lake.
We went into an antique shop in SC, jabbering of course, and the clerk right away said, "Ya'll must be from Minnusoda". :lol:

Coincidently, I have a very good friend in Texarkana - creek, roof, and hammock are just a few that will get you every time. :D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's March 1st, and the HIGH today was -4*. There is talk that the frost is anywhere from 6'-8' feet deep. I just bought a bunch of seed packets yesterday out of desperation for anything resembling spring. My thought is to start the tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and watermelon here in the house today or tomorrow. When it gets warm enough, I want to move them to the cattle-panel greenhouse we are going to build (once the snow is gone), to harden them off before planting in the garden. The last time I started plants in the house they got spindly and didn't do very well. DH told me that it was because I started them too soon (I think I started them in Feb. that year). What is the expert opinion out there? I'm in west-central MN, zone 3-4.

Just wanted to say :frow. (and if I did already just ignore me :rolleyes:)

You've already gotten a lot of great tips. I start peppers around Mar.15 (although I started some a bit early this year - Mar.4), and tomatoes around April 1. If I had the room to up-pot more of them and get all of them under lights I would probably push it a bit earlier. The tomatoes (in 3"pots) are well ready to get in the ground towards the end of May. Vining plants, I don't start until the end of April, but I'm not much of a gambler. :)

I have a lot of family around the Alexandria area.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just wanted to say :frow. (and if I did already just ignore me :rolleyes:)

You've already gotten a lot of great tips. I start peppers around Mar.15 (although I started some a bit early this year - Mar.4), and tomatoes around April 1. If I had the room to up-pot more of them and get all of them under lights I would probably push it a bit earlier. The tomatoes (in 3"pots) are well ready to get in the ground towards the end of May. Vining plants, I don't start until the end of April, but I'm not much of a gambler. :)

I have a lot of family around the Alexandria area.

We're just over an hour south and west of Alexandria. It's our go-to town when we want to actually shop for things, or when we just need a change of scenery.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love 'regionalisms'. I think it makes speech more interesting. Thanks everyone for the fun examples! Several generations ago, some of my ancestors came from 'mis ur RA' I have no idea where that is ;) (lol) Around here you sometimes hear someone say crick (creek).
Got a chance to dig out a very nasty grass infestation out of one of my flower beds today. Yay, happy Daylight Savings Time eve to everyone. :weee:weee:weee

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love 'regionalisms'. I think it makes speech more interesting. Thanks everyone for the fun examples! Several generations ago, some of my ancestors came from 'mis ur RA' I have no idea where that is ;) (lol) Around here you sometimes hear someone say crick (creek).
Got a chance to dig out a very nasty grass infestation out of one of my flower beds today. Yay, happy Daylight Savings Time eve to everyone. :weee:weee:weee
Not so happy Daylight Savings Time Eve, I lose an hour of sleep!
:confused:

Some of the folks around these parts (including Ma) say "crick" and it is on the long "words that annoy the stuff out of me" list. Also on that list are "pout, handkerchief, aneurism, pansy (although I do like the flower), etc, etc" (way too long to post here! :p)

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I wish I could come dig grass out of your flowerbed. I miss dirt...

Latest posts