too many tomatoes

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got lots of tomatoes. giving them away & all, but none of them are plum. they are celebrity & black krim. can I make decent sauce out of them despite them having lots of seeds & not near as much meat as a plum tomato. I'm just kinda at a loss as to what to do with them before they ruin.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could just make and can tomato juice, or your own version of V-8 juice. I have made tomato sauce out of regular tomatoes, but it takes a long time to cook it down to the desired thickness.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
BJ, in 2014 you will just have to grow MORE tomatoes! See, that's my answer for everything :p!

What I mean is that if you have more varieties, your sauces will have more variety. It will be nuanced, as they say ;). And, that's really true. You can experiment -- try a sauce with only one variety then try one with 5!

As the different varieties come into production (& overproduction), your sauces will change thru the weeks. You'll notice. It's fun!

Steve :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can make sauce using any tomatoes you have... put them in the pot and cook them down! Delish!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
Jut can them. Cut them into pieces that will fit into a jar, and can them.
Sorry, that was me posting that. Dew has a habit of not logging out when she leaves the site.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got a dehydrator? Dried tomatoes are so yummy in all kinds of dishes, crumpled over salads or just eat them as a snack. Blanch them, immerse in icy water, peel and pack them in jars and can them. Or, peel them, put in the pot with whatever is ready in the garden at the moment, or buy vegetables to go in the soup pot. Can your own home made soup-it's sooooooo good in the winter! I usually chop up some leftover roast, ham or whatever I have, in it. :drool

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use any any all tomatoes for sauce. I leave the seeds. Boil, skin, cool a bit, put through the food processor, and drain a little of the clear water, and freeze. I have taken to actually cooking the pasta in the sauce. It takes up the clear liquid that separates out when you thaw them. That liquid is where the sweetness is of the tomato. This has made it quite tasty. I bet the real Italians are shuddering with disgust.

Latest posts