too many tomatoes

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can make sause, soup, or canned tomatoes. If you have a dehydrator you can cut them in 1/2 and dry them to use later. Is to much of a good thing really to much?...:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't want the seeds in there, run them through a food strainer . It will take out the peels too. Then cook them low and slow until they are as thick as you like. You may be surprised how much you'll like the flavor of those varieties for your sauce. The black krim have a very nice balanced acidity and deep tomato-y flavor. I think they'd make a great sauce once cooked down. I've used them for salsa and canned tomatoes (quartered) many times.

ETA: You must remember, too, that most of us here have yet to see a tomato! :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like Cats method of cooking the pasta in the sauce, I'm going to give that a try!

And somewhere on here Hoodat had a technique of straining the tomatoes through a bag ( jelly bag?) to eliminate the excess juice, then you don't have to simmer it so long.

But what you really need to do BJ, is send all that excess to me, the ripe tomato deprived one! :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Where I live a tiny jar of sundried Tomatoes is over $9.00
You are kidding, right? I crank up my new Excalibur and dry trays of sliced tomatoes. NINE DOLLARS!!!!! :ep

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nine dollars? :ep ouch.
some wonderful tips here. thanks. Thistlebloom, I would love to send you some. I took a bunch to church today to pawn off on other people who don't have a garden. tomorrow morning we're headed down to Austin for the day. the garden needs to water itself while i'm gone.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago a neighbor had a huge garden but got sick just at the tomatoes were coming in. Mom sent me over to pick them and she spend days and days freezing up bags of just tomatoes cooked with a little salt & pepper. She said that they could season it and make it into whatever they wanted when they thawed it.

I've got a BUNCH of tomatoes coming in soon and I'm starting to get a little worried about them being all ready at once. I'm thinking that this might work for me since I use a LOT of canned diced and crushed tomatoes to cook with. Maybe I can get nearly through the winter without having to buy cans?????