Topsey Turvey!!

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well I think i have a leg up in that my model places the tomato plants coming out of the sides of the container rather than directly out of the bottom. however my father saw my design and opted to try to grow a pepper plant directly out the bottom of a gallon container. I'll be sure to tell him to be careful when it comes to watering practices.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
well I think i have a leg up in that my model places the tomato plants coming out of the sides of the container rather than directly out of the bottom. however my father saw my design and opted to try to grow a pepper plant directly out the bottom of a gallon container. I'll be sure to tell him to be careful when it comes to watering practices.
I think maybe you are correct about coming out the side being a little safer.
My Dad was here last night and asked about the Topsy Turvey he bought me last year...I told him "The dog ate it!" :lol:

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LoL

well my tomatoes have begun to produce flowers.

They seem small, and growth is definitely stunted. I think the gallon can only support one tomato plant to full size.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will try a one gallon.. :thumbsup

I know I have been bad.. my poor little tomato starts have prob grown as big as they can.. but I have been working 12 hour days.. I am off this weekend so I will plant mine this weekend.. and then chime in with results..

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Both of the tomato plants that I put in the same single gallon have flowered, and one already has two tomatoes. However the flowers and fruit have both developed considerably smaller than the same variety grown on the ground.

I put one of those fertilizer sticks for houseplants in the soil, and meet the plants demands for water, which are considerably more pressing than the water needs of those in the ground.

One plant in one gallon should be perfectly fine.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked up some cheap 1 gallon buckets at Lowes. I will try growing a tomato upside down in them once my starters get bigger and it STOPS FREAKING SNOWING in Colorado
:barnie
:he
:tongue

I also got some of the polymer crystals to add to my soil to take care of some of the drying out issues. It was $12 for a bag of the crystals at Lowes and there is supposed to be enough in that bag for 50 planters.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bodyflight said:
I'm going to make one out of an old dog food or feed bag. This is a great idea... I know right where to hang mine.. off the chicken coop!!!
that is supurb.. but what are you going to use to hang it with???

and we must see pictures!!!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok.. I did it! I made the first just after my post, and I waited until my friend came over for the weekend to finish the other two, we each did one. She is now going home to make her own!
We used Pedigree 40lb dog food bags (BOSS seeds also come in the right bag), duct tape, a couple feet of strong rope, a 3 foot or so piece of flat wood, a utility knife & a stapler with minimum 1/2" staples.
I now have 3 of them hanging in front of the Black Orpington pen, check it out: D:

101_2858.JPG

I didn't have a camera to take pics of the process, so I'll just describe it as it's quite straightforward.

1. Turn 40lb feed bag (woven type) inside out, take care to tuck the corners in nicely

2. Fill with soil. These each hold just less than 1.5 cu feet of dirt (approximately 40ish pounds worth) and shake the bag to tamp down the soild making sure to fill those corners.

3. Straighten up the bag, line it up and then staple it to a FLAT board just longer than the bag is wide. Then fold the bag down, one board width at a time, stapling as you go. Fold/wind down and staple, lifting the bag each time, letting the air out slowly and continue all the way down till you hit the dirt.

4. Lifting by the wood, allow the dirt to settle again, shake it a little here and there (it should look like the pictures now). There will be some air space above the dirt, and that's good. Secure with extra staples if need be.

5. I placed an "X" of duct tape over the intended hole. And a strip directly above the X in the air space.

6. I used Peat Pots & Jiffy Pots (are they the same thing?) to plant the plants in and the edge of the pot is portruding from the hole. To insert the plant, I tilted the bag back just a little bit (resting on the ground) and used a utility knife to cut an X into the X of duct tape. The bottom triangle piece of the flap I cut again down the middle to make sure it doesn't dig into the stem, and reached inside and moved the dirt out of the way, inserted the plant, folded the peat pot in to the stem a bit, and then I put my hands over the pot and turned the bag upright again allowing all the dirt to pack around the pot. Using the airspace to push the dirt in the bag around until it was packed firmly. (lotsa words for a simple task)

7. Use the utility knife to cut a slit in the middle of the duct tape at the top of the bag (be sure not to cut the back panel too) and then use scissors to cut an "eyebrow" on the top part of the slit.

8. I used some heavy duty rope, tied it around the wood with several sturdy knots, and hung it!

Now I can use a watering can and insert that into the notch at the top of the bag to water as necessary or I can also spoon in some fertilizer or whatever as well.

I'm grown pickles, bell pepper & Brandywine tomatoes.
Zero cost, all scrap and I think they look nice too!
I may need to add drainage holes on the bottom, but I suspect the woven bag will seep well. If I add the holes, a couple inches of duct tape with a small slit in the middle of it along the bottom will be what I do.

101_2861.JPG

Latest posts