Tossing a Variety

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D This has gone Cosmic into the near-infinite in both computer analysis of genetic code and extra-terrestrial settlements.

Back home with Garbanzo the Dog and memories of Sally the Malamute, I have begun saving tomato seed ... in my casual paper and low humidity way ;). Depending on the seed company geneticists to supply me with hybrids can only be taken so far. (I'm still griped about them no longer offering Honey Girl melons 😡)

Relying on those companies to continue with heirlooms is also bothersome. Some that I have grown have fallen into the difficult to restore category. I've never grown Woodle Orange tomatoes and suppose that it is still offered by Baker Creek. Another gardener sent me seed from Oklahoma. He was under the mistaken belief that it was from Idaho. It's my understanding that he mixed up his states that start with an "I." ;)

He also had mixed up seed. It is supposedly a large orange tomato but, from the first, it had small, red fruit! It was fine - healthy, early, very mild. DW likes mild tomatoes. I saved seed ... for several years. Then, one plant had small orange fruit!

Orange is supposed to be recessive so I saved that seed. It's still a 3 ounce tomato but, DW still likes it. (Could grow veggies for Garbanzo but she would probably only like the cooked carrots - can't trust her with the onions, I guess.)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Although, I can imagine pink turning to "tan blah."

Wild harvesting - rather a different story. There was some disappointment when I learned that all the volunteer apple trees that I see so often off the country roads and in "industrial" areas, were completely unsuitable for my homemade apple butter. Waste of time.

yes, if they were seeded from people throwing apple cores out their car window it is likely they'll be a more sour cider apple than super edible. the tip for making them more edible is to wait until they're more ripe and then dehydrate them (which concentrates the sweetness). try it with a few apples first though to make sure that particular tree is worth it. i used to make the rounds with a friend up north to harvest from wild trees like this and he kept a map of trees he could use.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you are rose grower AND there is an abandoned lot with roses growing, you MIGHT be able to dig them up and transplant. After all, nobody has been taking care of them, so they should do well someplace else.
@Pulsegleaner , I agree about being a steward of varieties. It is best, IMHO, thought of as preserving genetic diversity. Large growers grow single crops. If they fail, other varieties could replace them. White turkeys are grown bc the average grocery shopper cannot see the white feathers that they miss. If the bird had black feathers you would SEE what they missed and maybe, not buy the bird carcass.
Re: saving seeds from a seed that you have purchased, I think you are not legally allowed to SELL that seed, not illegal to share your seeds.
Consider that seed companies save US the step and they save their seeds from very healthy plants. Sometimes our gardening is not quite that good at our gardening, and we could be putting away diseased seed.
I found this interesting download:
file:///C:/Users/12173/OneDrive/Desktop/Gardening%20&%20Forum,%202022/2022%20Gardening%20Articles/Gardening%20Articles/7_Pub.3447-VegetableSeedSanitation.pdf

Latest posts