Reaction score
My little guy.
DSCF0052.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little guy . . .
tractor_0499.jpg

. . . driving the big guy, an International. See, if I could learn to operate it, I'd be a tractor gal, too. One of those, "Mine is bigger than yours" kind of people. I suppose I can ask my son to teach me how it works. I am not such an old dog that I'm afraid to learn new tricks.

I also have a very old Simplicity garden tractor -- the one that my little orange wagon came with -- that is 55 years old. I have it in for some work so I can have it running. I sure did/do love that little guy. Unfortunately, it has been "in the shop" for about 5 years now. I have no idea what, if, or when I'll get to drive it again.

Some farm gal, huh?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out Craftsman of course, but Sears was never big about carrying outdated repair parts. Also check for any markings on the engine. Sears parts are only on the tractor. The engine is manufactured by someone else. Hopefully Briggs and Stranton, Kohler, or someone with a lasting name so parts are easier to obtain.

Write down each and every number you find. Often you can find the year by looking up a working part with a number. There are repair/parts sites out there that carry more parts than the manufacturer does so don't be shy about looking around.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red who is working on your Simplicity? Hope it's family as 5 years in shop? Being that old, it probably is a tractor with a solid transmission capable of doing all the engine can supply.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red who is working on your Simplicity? Hope it's family as 5 years in shop? Being that old, it probably is a tractor with a solid transmission capable of doing all the engine can supply.
Yes, it is with family. He tears down and rebuilds tractors and other farm equipment. In his spare time he does the same with cars and garden tractors. He recently took a "real" job with Stoughton Trailers so he could garner more money for his marriage. Now that he's advanced at S.T. he's finding less and less time to work in his shop on machinery.

My niece, his new wife, just picked up a second job as well, working for an area Vet. They hope she will be admitted this year into Veterinary School so right now it's all money, money, money for when she has to pay for her schooling.

The old lawn tractor is from a time when Simplicity tractors really were simple. I can mount and remove the mower by myself. The newer Simplicity has nothing that's easy to put on. Most things need 4 hands to hook up.

Latest posts