traditional foods for the holiday season

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninny mary - Pozole is easy. Just get pork (roast/chops/neckbones whatever is on sale. I am more of a neckbone fan) and slow cook it in water, garlic (alot), onions, bay leaf (i am unsure but I think my abuela used it. she died before I got interested in cooking so my cooking is just on memory). Skim any fat then salt pepper to taste. Add hominy there you go. Add cabbage, onions, radishes, cilantro, lemon as a garish on the side.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
as above but I add at least 1/3 cup dried red chile paste (toasted red chile mixed with enough hot water to make a puree) and a tsp or so of fresh ground cumin and pinch of allspice

yummmmmm suck your thumb twirl your hair ..I bought a shoulder to make some because Obsessed made me obsess on pozole :)

I miss my girls :( they are so far away and I will not see them until June ..my heart is aching ....both are lousy cooks btw ...only one son out of four kids can cook ..they love to help me prep ..except the youngest girl ..she can not even use a knife safely ...lord knows I tried!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow

In the UK we have a lot of gammon ham at Christmas. It is usually boiled gently until virtually cooked then glazed in the oven & decorated with cloves stuck into the skin. But I have just been sent a recipe which I think would be wonderful as a standby -- Have a look:

http://www.luculliandelights.com/2009/12/saffron-breaded-ham-with-mustard-seed.html

You have to scroll down a bit! I think this could easily become a traditional Christmas dish.
Forgive me HiD for side-stepping your topic but I thought your DH might enjoy this, as I Know he loves ham! :D

:rose Hattie :rose
omg that is a beatiful blog Hattie thank you for the recipe you are right on with the fact DH will adore it!!! we can get good gamon in Vancouver I get it for him when we go up..

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiD - I have never had pozole that had chili. I have always had it with a clear broth. Where as menudo always has chili unless it is menudo joto. I may have to try it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Obsessed,

The pozole I have always eaten always has a spicy reddish broth. I think it must have california chile or new mexico chili powder. I'm not sure what other spices there are in it.

By the way, Costco has corn husks for $3 something. Large bag.

Mary

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats crazy! I have been eating pozole joto my whole life and never known it. I use the California chili pods for tamales/enchilada/menudo. This year I deseeded the pods and added some cayanne for a bit of an extra bite. Hopefully next years garden willl have a few varieties of peppers so I can mix a bunch of different peppers for my sauce. Yummy.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think because of the majority of hispanic/Mexican style/southwest food I learned to cook was in my sisters house in Santa Fe ... I learned to put chile in everything ..we do a green chile posole as well with lots of fresh roasted green chiles cumin and all the rest of the stuff

also here is more that I learned in Santa Fe put a half bottle of pour a bottle of Dos Equis in your posole when you begin to cook it ...very good

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like this topic.

Well, there is only one food that I have to have at Christmas (and then I can go all year until I have it again) . . . homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast! My mom used to make them some years, some years she wouldn't. I wanted them EVERY year. So now I try to bake them every year for my husband and I. This year, I am going to try to make them with sourdough. I'm thinking it might help me manage my time better in the kitchen and they may even taste just a touch better. :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am such a sour dough nut! I love it. When we were in montana the grocery store would sell the 50# bags of bread flour and I would just make loaf after loaf. He in Louisiana I havent found a package more than the regular 5#. I should check at the Sams but we don't have a Costco.