Transition summer to fall gardens.........

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So....my summer garden here in zone 7B...has been a complete flop. Failure. We planted 5 rows of white potatoes, 2 rows of green beans, 1 row of beets, 6 or 7 pumpkin plants, cucumbers, peas, carrots, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, 6 rows of corn. And one little round garden of strawberries. Now granted, this whole property with garden is all an experiment. We just don't know what grows where on the property. It has several different micro environments, several different sun exposures, different soils...clay and acidic soils. So, we just stick things here and there.

It rained, and rained ...and rained....for like 6 weeks this summer. Our potatoes.... we dug up maybe 1 pound. The corn did much of nothing. The cucumbers died. The sweet potatoes are still in the ground, but they never thrived. Grew to a certain point..and then nothing. We still have the tomato patch...but they are quickly dieing off.

So now it is time to plan the fall gardens. What is everyone else going to plant?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my list.....mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, lettuce, and I'm sure I'll think of something else. Oh yeah, beets and carrots too.

My tomatoes did OK, but burned up WAY too early. I have lots of green beans http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33860 and they will bear until a killing frost-last year it was November. The Violet's Multicolored Butterbeans have done pretty good, enough for us to enjoy and get a few bags in the freezer. Right now they are covered in blooms and putting on more beans. The sweet potato vines are thick, hope there are lots of sweet potatoes underneath!

Moxies, if you like green beans, PM me your address and I will be glad to send you some seeds for next spring!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would seem that we would have had a great summer for gardening, with ample rain, but I didn't get very big harvests in anything but cucumbers. The tomatoes did pretty bad, to the point that I haven't canned any, and now they are all dried up. Zucchini croaked. Beans were so-so, but not enough to can. Still, we have eaten a lot from the garden on a daily basis. For the fall I have beans, spinach, chard and mustard.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Our garden in 5a didn't do great. Not a total loss, but not great. Mostly because I didn't have the time to put into it.

I did plant spinach, radishes, beets and bok choy about a week ago. I will get some garlic (scape bulbs) into the ground soon and see what happens.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need to get stuff set out. Mostly seeds at this point. DH just this past weekend got the gardens tilled over back to dirt, and not weeds. That is pretty much what grew the best, weeds. :hit

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pole beans are still going. I have way too much squash and a lot of it coming from a self-planted zucchini. It is a beautiful plant too. We have 1 row of potatoes to dig up. I may have a quart of blackberries left to pick. The cucumbers are doing pretty good. We had a lot of spinach earlier and now I have some that is just now up and I may plant another row. The beets are growing. The lettuce is growing. I have some cabbage and broccoli that might turn into something. The tomatoes are not really doing that well, but getting some and a lot of cherry tomatoes. I will plant garlic next month and pretty soon check the sweet potatoes, but I have a feeling thare are not any. I have some kale to cut and freeze.

Latest posts