Tree Identification?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of this tree locally, but have never been able to figure out what it is. I always thought as a child it was a Bay. Then I suspected Magnolia but the leaves are so huge I am unsure. I haven't ever seen one in bloom to get a photo, but here are some photos of the trees and I figure maybe some of you smart folks here could help me out.

Thank you for your time!

IMG_6221.jpg
IMG_6222.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm immediately intimidated by jumping in here before the smart people do, HomesteaderWife.

But, since I haven't lived where Rhododendrons grow wild for many years and might be forgiven, I'll make that guess.

Alabama has many Rhododendron species, as best as I understand.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Third vote for a rhodie or its close relative. It should be growing as more of a bush or shrub than a tree, but mine are pushing 8 feet tall and "they don't grow [here]". Master Gardener Class teacher

Of course, if someone stops by who happens the have the real correct answer, I stand behind digitS' and his assertion that "I haven't lived where Rhododendrons grow wild for many years and might be forgiven" for an incorrect guess.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens to those plants in the spring. I take it that they are not large trees, but shrubby plants?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Down in the seaside redwood forests where my folks used to live, the rhodies did get to be small trees. Probably close to 20 feet tall.
That's a long way from Alabama, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that Homesteaders' giant leaves are in the Rhododendron family. Those are some impressive leaves!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are Rhododendrons they should already have large buds in the center of some of the leaf clusters. At least mine have by the time fall arrives. Some of the buds hold next year's leaves and the bigger ones are flowers.

I don't see any buds in the photos.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if it's some type of Laurel? Specifically Laurus nobilis... which seems to have a fair amount of diverse specimens. I'm familiar with the hardier cherry laurel types around here, and the leaves are much, much smaller, but the leaf type and pattern reminds me of HW's pics.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are out of my realm of experience with the Laurel, thistle, but it might explain why @HomesteaderWife, "always thought it was bay. Bay laurel would probably grow well in her area. Yup! Googled bay laurel for a photo.
images
thistlebloom could be right.

Latest posts