Tree Identification?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does look like a laurel. But those leaves sure are hugh! The leaves of mine are much smaller and I've seen bay trees with leaves the size of mine. But there are so many species that this must be an Alabama one instead of a California one. ;)

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of varieties of laurel.

I found a maybe-likely plant. Persea borbonia or Redbay. The leaves don't look nearly big enough though....

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always thought it was a Bay because of the sweet smell the leaves give off when broken up, but like I said I am so unsure and it just stumps me. This particular photo I took was a cluster of small trees about six foot tall. But I have seen one larger than this at my grandmother's farm a few years ago and it was probably over 10 feet tall. Like I mentioned I have yet to catch one in bloom, but I'm going to try and catch it this year.

It's something I've always wondered about and finally decided to try and get some answers as to what this tree/bush may be. What amazes me is how the leaves are so large on it! Thank you for all the answers and guesses so far. I really wish I could contact someone from maybe forestry locally who knows what it is. I've tried looking up trees and shrubs of the area but no luck.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have an Ag Extension office nearby HW? If they have a Master Gardener program they will be likely to be able to answer your question.
Either take a leaf in, or take several pictures of the top of the leaf, the underside, how it is attached to the stem, the trunk and the bark, and if there are any buds.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have an Ag Extension office nearby HW? If they have a Master Gardener program they will be likely to be able to answer your question.
Either take a leaf in, or take several pictures of the top of the leaf, the underside, how it is attached to the stem, the trunk and the bark, and if there are any buds.
Good Idea @thistlebloom )( I like the new avatar, too)

Latest posts