Tree with white flowers

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Floribunda have no projecting anthers or stamen, but it may be another Stephanotis.

I'm leaning toward some kind of Jasmine or Spirea

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're right Marshall, the blooms are wrong. But the leaves are so similar, it makes me think it has to be a lesser known variety of Stephanotis. ? Maybe?

I'm not familiar with a spirea that has that waxy laurel leaf look.

I'm really curious now to it's real identity!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho qt pie, can you take an extreme closeup of the flower?

Let's see if we can determine the family from the flower.

Number of petals, or are the tepals? Diagnose the exact flower cluster form...Pannicle?

Let's diagnose the leaf form. Is that waxiness actually dense cutin? Are the edges serrated? How does the petiole attach to the stem?

SPIREA VANHOUTTEI

There are a bunch of species of Spirea. Vanhouttei makes an almost bridalwreath flower for the north, and is wonderful in landscape informal paths and edges, softening lines. Gold Nugget is smaller with glossy yellow leaves and smallish pannicle umbels of pink flowers. Bubble Gum's leaves are near copper, very neat, and has a larger cluster, very tight and long lasting, deep pink flower structure. They will drop seeds, and if lucky, will bless you with little spirea plants, but in a nice way, not invasively. The little plants make great gifts. I think the seeds need a bright warm spot to sprout. Spireas prefer afternoon shade, but will tough out full sun with a smaller plant and less luxirious growth.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can have her take some more pictures for us. She lives 45 minutes away so I can't just run over to her house any more. :(

I'll have to take some really close up pictures of the flowers, and of just some leaves. :)

Thanks for helping guys! :hugs

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Nacho qt pie, can you take an extreme closeup of the flower?

Let's see if we can determine the family from the flower.

Number of petals, or are the tepals? Diagnose the exact flower cluster form...Pannicle?

Let's diagnose the leaf form. Is that waxiness actually dense cutin? Are the edges serrated? How does the petiole attach to the stem?

SPIREA VANHOUTTEI

There are a bunch of species of Spirea. Vanhouttei makes an almost bridalwreath flower for the north, and is wonderful in landscape informal paths and edges, softening lines. Gold Nugget is smaller with glossy yellow leaves and smallish pannicle umbels of pink flowers. Bubble Gum's leaves are near copper, very neat, and has a larger cluster, very tight and long lasting, deep pink flower structure. They will drop seeds, and if lucky, will bless you with little spirea plants, but in a nice way, not invasively. The little plants make great gifts. I think the seeds need a bright warm spot to sprout. Spireas prefer afternoon shade, but will tough out full sun with a smaller plant and less luxirious growth.
Spirea in all types of varieties are rampant up here. It's a common landscape plant, and the Vanhouttei's buds are swelling, should see blooms in a month or so.
But I don't think that's Nachos plant. Leaves are wrong, flowers aren't similar, and they aren't fragrant.

Maybe that's not what you meant.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
hmmm, I guess we'll need those photos Nacho! Also, might want to ask a local nursery person.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a great idea Marshall! And Nacho, if you could include something for scale with the leaf and the bloom shots that would help too.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure guys... I sent her a msg letting her know we want more pictures as well... lemme send her another to remind her. :)

***ETA
She said that she would get me the pictures tomorrow. :D