Tried to Like It

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a little trouble recognizing some tropical fruits but .... maybe @Niele da Kine can help me out. Or, @Pulsegleaner , he's quite cosmopolitan in his experiences.

z fruit.png

edit to correct spelling

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think I may have seen something like that back in my days at Cornell, at the Ag experiment station in Geneva. At least, I remember a dead white (more or less, more of a very very pale green that overripened to sort of pale cream) apple with sweet, sort of soft flesh (sort of like a Golden Delicious, as I recall) I did try and grow some from the seeds I got and they did come up, but then the gardeners we had at the time pulled them out trying to weed our side pots. Remember they were some odd species like Malus chinesis x chinensis ( which is not a valid taxonomic name)
McIntosh has a white flesh, but Very tart, so color isn't an indicator. I AGREE that we should have as much genetic variety as possible.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grilled with what? Maybe I've tried the wrong one then.
Gretel is an eggplant variety found in countries outside of the US. It might qualify as different from whatever Aubergine you have had before, Marie. (A little surprised that my spell-chequer knows the British name, Aubergine.)

DW has a rather odd relationship with eggplant. It's like she can't decide. Mostly, I like a casserole and think that the oblong fruit is easier to work with. Breaded and straight from frying in the skillet is fine and the long Asian types work for that. (Little Asian types are very bitter!)

I used to think that the standard green or white varieties are never bitter. Wrong. I think stress makes even a properly mature fruit bitter.

I typed "fruit bitter" and immediately thought of "fruit butter" :D. I don't think that would work with eggplant ;). However, this talk of apples 🤔 ... I need to get back to making my apple and pear butters each year. Delicious, but - one needs an appropriate baking variety.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would really like to see a picture of these and the tree they grow on :)
Here is a pic of what they look like:
Next time I go pick them I'll take a pic of the actual tree. It looked like an ordinary apple tree!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a little trouble recognizing some tropical fruits but .... maybe @Niele da Kine can help me out. Or, @Pulsegleaner , he's quite cosmopolitan in his experiences.

View attachment 39457
edit to correct spelling

it may be mango avocado frozen custard or something? i dunno, but from the background of the lemon in the white i'd say that is my best guess.

i pretty much try to eat everything, even if i don't like it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And just never developed a like for kale or collards

With collards, it’s about the ham hocks and onions.
Well, I'm having collards again with a cut-up hot dog. They're good!

Zeedman, I'm wondering if you can get a plant thru winter. This is the 2nd March that we have had over-wintered collards. What a different (better) ,,version of the veggie!

I didn't know that it was possible and don't know if they could survive a normal winter. My Portuguese kale can't make it through even this mild winter. Surprised to see my first try with Italian kale, it had about a 50% fatality level. (May try to keep the Siberian variety thru next winter. Shucks, if the name means anything ... No aphids to bother it in January! ;))

I might be willing to have collards each year in the garden only for March harvest.

Steve

Latest posts