Trip Got Snake Bit

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is
Trip came up on the porch this morning, peering in, like he does when he wants to come inside. Normally he does this in the heat of the day, when it thunders, or in the evening when he wants a nap. None of these applied, so I went out to check on him. he was limping on his left front leg. he limped in and tried to sit/lay down, but was clearly in pain. I gently felt his leg, Beaux the puppy wanted to be in the middle of everything. Trip growled at him, DH called Beaux to him so I could proceed. I figured it was a copperhead bite.

I gave Trip a benedryl pill, a baby aspirin and 4 Arnicare pills. He slept most of the morning. He got up once to follow me outside, but turned back and went and laid back down. At 11:00 I gave him another round, he is laid out in the floor, but now he is laying on his left side, so the leg must feel better.

Last week, Paris killed a copperhead in the back yard. She slung it in two pieces. It is hilarious to watch her kill snakes. After she slung it to pieces, I got the "head" piece and tossed it where she couldn't kill it again.

Trip's upper forearm and shoulder are swollen. With all that fur, finding the bite is impossible. He just sat up, I sat in the floor and felt his leg, the knee joint is swollen. He laid over on his other side, nap time again.
Is benedryl enough for humans with a copperhead bite? Every time I get jealous at your early garden produce I just need to remember SNAKES and alligators.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, a copperhead bite is a hospital stay, swollen, rotten looking area where the bite went, lots of pain, a real nasty experience. Rarely fatal.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, a copperhead bite is a hospital stay, swollen, rotten looking area where the bite went, lots of pain, a real nasty experience. Rarely fatal.
So how was it enough for the dog? Are they more tolerant to the venom. Reminder...stay out of Texas and other snake infested areas.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat the snake can control the amount of venom in a bite. Some snakes will give a dry bite 1st ( no venom) If snake is scared or thinks bad threat they can give large dose of venom in a bite

Latest posts