Trying to "root" thinned beets

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 4 and always direct sowed- root veggies really don't like transplanting. They don't mind cold weather, so you can plant as soon as you can work the soil...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Ask Hattie--she had a link that I looked at last month, but, when trying to locate through the plethora of good stuff she has posted, I couldn't--should have bookmarked it. ANYWAY, she knows a gardening site that has a bunch of 5 minute videos about growing vegetables. I particularly liked the one regarding beets--they experiemented with one crop and didn't thin. Almost all formed beets. I don't think I'm going to ever thin my beets again. :D
:frow :frow

Hi there, I think it might be from the BBC's Gardener's World site. I just pulled up their beetroot pages (5 of them packed with links) so you might find something useful in there.......!! :lol:
I urge you to bookmark this site as it is just packed with info -- I use it all the time.

Good luck with the beets. :happy_flower

I love them raw but grated into a salad of the leaves with chives or spring-onion greens, yummy with a good French dressing. I use the beets when they are young & tender for this. :drool

:rose Hattie :rose

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love beets. Don't give up on beats till you have tried them cooked amd smothered in butter (healthy, I know) but mmmmmmmmmmgood...I love Paula Dean! My kids even love em that way.

Christie :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My kids really like beets too. I sprinkle a little brown sugar over them with a little butter and heat them up. They also like my pickled beets. OH, and the young greens are delicious (they aren't as yummy when they get biggish).

I grew beets last year for the first time. I started with 2 rows that I picked at over a period of about 3 weeks. We liked them so well I planted 2 more rows. Curious thing about beets I learned last year is one seed can produce up to 6 plants. I tried doing the transplant thing but they didn't do well at all so I just let them grow for a bit and when I thinned them out. The beet root was still small so I just washed them up and chopped in a salad...

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We've come to enjoy roasted veggies, including beets. Some people roast first and then slip off the skin, but you lose the roasted outside. I peel them first and spread them out in a shallow pan in a single layer. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Asparagus is also delicious roasted using the same method. And who doesn't like roasted corn!

My grandmother used to make a one-dish meal by roasting chicken pieces (sometimes Italian sausage was included), carrots, and potatoes with olive oil and garlic, which is still something everyone here likes. I've substituted Romano green beans (the big flat ones) for the carrots and that worked well, too.

Latest posts