Turning a basement into a greenhouse

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My highschool biology class had these huge planting tables on wheels ..they were made out of very heavy wood and lined with some form of metal and a drain hole right in the middle

I WANT TWO OF THESE PLEEZE !!!!! (I hope he hears me)

my basement is a daylight basement so that is fortunate that I have all this light but yes I do have grow lights everywhere ..even over me to help prevent SAD that and good fans ..everything a plant needs in the winter I need to so it all is kind of synergistic

I tried to put the plants in and around so I do not look like a nursery in my home ..although owning and living in a huge nursery with a high tech green house would not hurt my feelings at all..

I just found this very cool tiki terrarium thing at a trift store ( I should post a pic so you guys could help me with the lay out) but I want to create a little tropical environment with something watery ..and something fragrant if possible or edible but for sure something that blooms!

..when the plants from Joe came I put the more fragile looking ones in there and the loved it!

anyone forcing bulbs? this is still on topic is it not ..if not tell me please :)

that is another way to keep things alive in your house bulb dishes are so cheap!!! a cool bowl or plate ..gravel or sea glass and bulbs! I often thought of getting a craigslist freebe fridg just to force bulbs ..the house smells so good when you do fragrant ones and it is nice to have a handful of fresh flowers for a friend in that you grew in the middle of the winter

chives ...lemon grass ..just take a piece of lemon grass take off the outer dried bits and then root in a glass of water ..you can grow a huge pot of lemon grass (mine is not doing well I have it still outside on the porch ) they fill up the pots pretty quickly ...just like a grass and are very pretty I think ..smell wonderful and great in soups and curries

grow a pot of ginger in the house ...I even have a coffee plant ..I know I am not growing coffee but it is fun to think I could!

sprout a lime tree the leaves make great seasoning in foods

indoor growing feeds your eyes, nose and mouth all year long :)

and Joe is right I have no money ..trust me but bulbs can be replaced with high spectrum and as long as you balence your light you can grow anything

my grandfather had a bulb on a cloth covered cord to grow his African Violets

I do understand the whole rest thing ..but for some of us "rest" is impossible :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
vfem said:
I did all my starts from seed last year in the bathroom, though we thought about doing a greenhouse this year, it was decided not to... so I'll be going back to the bathroom operation. When it comes down to it, you can grow pretty much anything anywhere... problem is COST! :ep
Okay--MY wish list:
Bay window in the bathroom
Bay window off of the current kitchen window

Why? To grow stuff there all year, of course!!! :weee

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been dreaming of a passive solar house since my husband showed me a picture of one where someone was growing tomatoes inside the south-facing windows! How cool would that be?????? :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh kay, time to start getting serious about making my seed starting setup. Frame, lights, heat pads

Thinking of LED light strip and t5 tube

2x4 frame

got 2 heat pads, have to test them...

Want to start some seeds feb 1

have another setup in a month bigger for the uppots, more light

ooh k, got to get cracking.

I really do love these old topics!!!
I was looking at Ninny's old topics. Howdy Ninny! There are kind of 2 Ninny's here, very different and both real cool!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ninny-
I rather agree that the utility costs will be high. If you do go through with it I recommend bottom heat made for growing plants that has a thermostat. If your pipes are freezing insulation should be your first step. Is your furnace not in the cellar? A furnace usually gives off enough heat to at least warm the cellar. I think there are very safe heaters on the market if you don't go too cheap and you do not have a pet that will knock it over.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow! This is a old one. We no longer live in this house. I was thinking it's crazy how much has happened in life since this thread.
marshallsmyth Have fun and good luck!:weight

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary,

Hopefully your new house has a basement conducive to indoor gardening. Don't let the nay sayers talk you out of it. It is possible. It is fun. It is not expensive. I have been doing it for years and the produce I grow justifies the slight increase in the utility bill. It is possible to garden 365 days a year, no matter where you live. It is a lot more interesting than looking at seed catalogs all winter and dreaming of growing things.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed that too NinnyMary, but I can tell the differences! Both of you are special, and different from each other.

:bouquet

:bouquet

A bouquet for each of you!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not have thought that there was more than one ninny in the world! Sorry about that Mary. :rolleyes:

Jack B