Turnip storage and keep into winter? Assistance Please

modern_pioneer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Popping over from the SS board to ask storage ideas for turnips.

I am expanding my garden plants this year, planting less corn, turnips is one of the new kinds I want to grow.

Also, sides fried, how can I use Okra besides stews. Also any turnip recipes would be great!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting question. I know the turnips in the grocery store are dipped in wax... I would think you could store them like I store my carrots. I cover them with sand in a container and they keep until spring. I am not crazy about the taste of turnips - but I'll bet the ones that are homegrown don't taste like the grocery store ones at all. Welcome!!!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me recommend to you a book--Root Cellaring, by Mike and Nancy Bubel. It has very extensive information on the cultivation, harvest and storage of cold cellar crops. Also has some recipes (scalloped turnips anyone?) and detailed sketches and information on building your own root cellar as well as other means of cold storage. I guarantee it will answer all your questions. You will be surprised the things you can store throughout the winter without using electricity to freeze and also information on forcing greens and many other interesting things. I think it is a must for any gardener or homesteader looking to preserve their harvest.

On okra--how about pickled? I love it pickled! :love

ETA: :welcome, btw!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
modern_pioneer said:
Also, sides fried, how can I use Okra besides stews.
OH My GOSH--haven't you fried it, yet?!?!? Heaven on a plate, OUR family says!!! :ya We cut it (or buy it cut and frozen--THIS year, I swear I'm gonna have a crop!!!), then coat it with corn meal, and slow cook it in bacon grease. My MIL (Wonderful women, RIP) introduced ME to it, and it's a holiday STAPLE in our family. Tastes F A N T A S T I C with a bite of mashed potatoes. You gotta cook it until it starts looking burnt--honest, burnt. Super crunchy--WONDERFUL flavor. Everybody should try it, just once.

modern_pioneer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Let me recommend to you a book--Root Cellaring, by Mike and Nancy Bubel. It has very extensive information on the cultivation, harvest and storage of cold cellar crops. Also has some recipes (scalloped turnips anyone?) and detailed sketches and information on building your own root cellar as well as other means of cold storage. I guarantee it will answer all your questions. You will be surprised the things you can store throughout the winter without using electricity to freeze and also information on forcing greens and many other interesting things. I think it is a must for any gardener or homesteader looking to preserve their harvest.

On okra--how about pickled? I love it pickled! :love

ETA: :welcome, btw!
Hey first off thanks!! for the help... I am a bit of a SS nut and I hadn't heard of that book. I did store my carrots in a moist sand box as I read in my Country Wisdom Book. If you think that it is worth picking up, I will us funds from SS fund to buy it. (living on a SS budget for food) Thats funny you mentioned that, I built my own semi root cellar already.

b2.jpg

This space is in my useless garage, which I have a water system in, wood stove to heat the house and to store a couple cords of wood at a time.

I have a journal on SS that covers almost the past year of my 3rd year of five getting back to being Self Sufficient. It has been just incredible re-reading through it. If your interested, lots of pics and stories of living on the side of the mountain in the middle of know where. It will make you laugh, it will might make you cry (winter time rescue photos of my dog trapped in my half frozen fishing pond). I am not self promoting, just if your interested, like here, lots of good folks there.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1888&p=1

I have fried it, yup, it is good eats....

I am happy to can anything that either comes from the earth, or once walked the earth. :D Is it slimy when its pickled?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been lurking over at SS for awhile. Really enjoyed reading your journal. You did a beautiful job, with your front steps. Really looks lovely and welcoming. Root "cellar" is very cool. Think spring!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
I've been lurking over at SS for awhile.
What is SS?:idunno The only thing I can think of is Social Security?:gig which I don't think so...maybe.. and self-sustainable? What website is it?

mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice cellar closet modern_pioneer! I had thought about building one in a corner of my basement, but my husband says he needs the dry storage space. My brother gave me a load of extra cinderblocks he doesn't need, and we're building a root cellar this summer into the hillside just outside the backdoor. We heat with wood too, a wood furnace situated in the basement, so while it's a great place for storing junk, it's no good for food/canning storage. I've kept my potatoes and apples out in the garage, but I have the annoyance of having to bring them in when the weather calls for a big freeze.

Try your library for the book. It's been out for a LONG time, so odds are good that they'll have it. Turnips keep under the same cool and damp conditions as carrots.

I haven't signed up over at SS, although I've lurked a time or two. I am too occupied over here! :lol: I go on BYC every so often, but it's so busy over there that I don't feel like I "know" anybody and it's hard to keep up with the conversations. That and I rarely have a question on chickens now anymore. BYC already answered them all!

modern_pioneer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BYC is great, though I don't go there as much, or here as I thought I pretty much had my head around the garden thingie. See just when you think you know everything, its time to learn more.

Like here, the SS board is a very open welcoming board. I found that board while on my own already working to be organic and as SS as possible. I am sure I have as much in common with some of you as I do them. Please come over and visit with us when you have some time, its some times is a hoot!!!

Thank you for all the help, I will see if my wife can get on her kindle, if not I will mail order the dead tree version and keep in my SS library to pass along to my kids. Again thanks, hope to visit with you again!!!

Its homemade pasta night with homemade sauce!!

My video series how I grow taters!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBdHls9zzk&feature=channel

I love dirt!!!!

Latest posts