Unit of Measurement

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was pleased to step off the garden extension yesterday and today and have it come out the same as in 2013: 202 "feet."

I've put feet in quotation marks because those are my feet, heel to toe. But, with Hush Puppies, my feet measure almost exactly 12 inches. My thumb is 1 inch wide . . . if I could get around better, I'd be a useful tool :).

The first important thing I do at the start of each day is put my socks on. It takes me 60 minutes. While getting into the shower after running the tiller this afternoon, I realized that it takes me right at 1 minute to pull both of my dirty socks off! I know this because it takes 60 seconds for the cold water in the pipes to the shower to be replaced by water that is the temperature of my choosing.

There's more to this, of course . . . however, the full moon is already a hand-width above the eastern horizon.

digitS'

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty good at pacing off yards. :) I had to measure my garden yesterday for electric fencing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden extension 202 "feet" :thI think my garden is 20 some one way and I have no idea how long the other way. I am too tired to care. If I tried to step it off with feet less than a foot, then I would lose count and probably walk crooked anyway. I don't even put on socks half the time and after staggering into the house to take a shower today, I have decided to cut half my hair off to save time and energy. My hair is too long and not energy efficient. I also decided when I buy food at the Farmer's Market, I am not looking at the prices. It is worth it. Onions are something else. Are all onions even on big farms planted by hand? :eek:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think all onions on big farms are direct-seeded using equipment that is pulled by a tractor, @Gardening with Rabbits . Link to a story on a ridiculously huge & complex machine.

It's either high tech or high touch. If it's high touch, you'd better be a Michelangelo genius if you expect to be prosperous. Sell it all on contract months before a single seed is planted. Oh, and have your farm management team take care of that for you.

No, I'm just a unit of measurement out in the noonday sun. It took 2 days to step that off, 50 feet at a time. Last year, I was all but overwhelmed by having to deal with that much ground and just went at it piecemeal. This is what comes from dipping into a use for a long unused farm field that hasn't quite been completely divided up into "housing." This is housing where there is an acre or two for a lawn mower to deal with thru the warmer months of the year.

digitS'
who is now told by the nurse that he has shrunk to a very useful 2 yards in height. given a little time, i may be able to determine shadow length with pickup headlights behind me, predawn.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On one hand point four fingers straight ahead and stick your thumb out. That's a good approximation to six inches in case you don't have a dollar bill handy. I've used that method many times to space my tomatoes, peppers, whatever.

Instead of using feet, use paces to measure your garden. It takes a little set-up but once you get your "factor" you are set. Measure off 100 feet, then pace that. Start with your toe on the line then walk that 100', trying to walk naturally and counting your steps. Then divide 100' by the number of steps and you know what your individual "pace" is. Do that two or three times and get an average if you don't trust it. Most people are pretty consistent if they pay attention to what they are doing. Doesn't matter what kind of shoes they are wearing. You can even work up a chart if that helps.

100' / 31.5 paces = 3.2' or 38"

100' / 34 paces = 2.9' or 35"

100' / 35.5 paces = 2.8' or 34"

Of course not walking in a straight line, going around things, and walking across rough terrain will mess it up, but this is a standard way to navigate on a hike.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digits, you sure would be handy to have around ;) Plus I know you can cook what you grow. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After years of teaching math and science I am a measurement machine. Span of one hand is 8 inches. Nose to finger is one yard. Little finger is one centemeter and to first knuckle of thumb is one inch. Lots of others as well.

DH is the pacer-offer though. He can keep count measuring steps through brush and come out right within an inch each time. He keeps time with the sun and shadows, too. He is amazing!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS', the part about it taking you an hour to put your socks on in the morning.....were you kidding, or is that for real? I used to have some problems getting socks to be comfortable. I think I must be the princess with the pea in the bed. I hate socks squishing my toes or compressing my ankles, even tho I have skinny feet and legs. I finally bought some diabetic socks, and love them. They are super soft, and very stretchy, but don't bind at all. I could pull them on with one of those long grabber tools if I needed, and pulling them off is easy, stepping on one sock toe with the other heel. (while standing up) If anyone has an issue with tight socks, you need to give these a try. You can get them at Wally world.
..............Or just stop wearing socks..........save an hour a day.....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky after trying a pair of diabetic socks I replaced all my socks with them. Iove how they now have black. Wal-mart sometimes has the 3 packfor $8.99 I once had a whole shopping cart of them.

Latest posts