Unknown ground cover

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's the possibility that it's a weed?
I have a weed that grows in beds that is very similar to what this looks like in the photo that Lady Bug posted and I copy/pasted here..
upload_2018-10-2_21-38-33.jpeg

It's not a pernicious weed at all and is like Lady Bug described, slow growing and an attractive green. No stickers or other annoying weed type habits, but it grows where it wasn't planted and gets in among the real ground covers. It pulls easily, as it doesn't have a tap root. I have no idea if I'm talking about the same thing Lady Bug is, but it seems very similar.

In the first photo it reminded me of Kinnickinnick, but maybe not as woody.

Lady Bug

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is not the same as Creeping Jenny. If you look at the close up, you'll see that its leaves are oval, not round. While this plant may be in the same family due to its similar growth pattern, it is a different plant. I have Creeping Jenny, and this is not that.

Unknown-ground-cover-close-.jpg

Lady Bug

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What's the possibility that it's a weed?
I have a weed that grows in beds that is very similar to what this looks like in the photo that Lady Bug posted and I copy/pasted here..View attachment 28614

It's not a pernicious weed at all and is like Lady Bug described, slow growing and an attractive green. No stickers or other annoying weed type habits, but it grows where it wasn't planted and gets in among the real ground covers. It pulls easily, as it doesn't have a tap root. I have no idea if I'm talking about the same thing Lady Bug is, but it seems very similar.

In the first photo it reminded me of Kinnickinnick, but maybe not as woody.

That looks like the plant. I've been scouring the web to try and find and id for this . . . I think I might have found it.

Here is a photo of Veronica officinalis, which does look similar. My unknown plant looks more like Veronica than Creeping Jenny.

Veronica officinalis 1.jpg

Latest posts