Unwelcome Harbinger of Spring

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky: There is a dog spray called "WHAM" by nature's specialties you might want to look into for next time. I got it for my dog's itchy feet, but it works so well on flea bites I spray myself for relief. It's quite handy for itching.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being tested for Lyme's after finding a tick on you is worthless. Lyme will not show up in blood for 8 to 10 weeks AFTER bite. Because incubation period so long many DR will just start you on doxy without a test. Fri a dog that on frontline had over 10 ticks this is going to be a bad year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your itch list. I've never thought of categorizing them before, but I think you've got it right. I have no experience with chiggers, but will take your word for it. I hope to never get first hand experience.

:eek: 35 ticks! Gives me the willies.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tea Tree oil (get the pure stuff) is not only antibacterial but will also stop the itching.
I had a seed tick last week that had left a red welt when I pulled it off. Rubbed a couple of drops of the oil and the redness was gone in an hour and it has never itched.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that, if I can trust google, the tick has to be attached for at least 36 hours for the disease to travel from the tick's gut to the salivary glands (or something like that)
I doubt if these ticks were even 36 hours old, they were tiny, and the longest-attached one was only for about 18 hours.
We have lots of deer ticks around here. I need to get chickens again.
I live in the center of lyme disease country. All of us have had it. I have been very sick with it a couple of times. If you are bit your should get the high dose of doxycycline at least. My SIL gives blood and they found his lyme. He did not even know he was sick. Very banal symptoms, Headaches, lethargy, and other symptoms, but I felt like I was going to die. They have identified 8 different diseases that ticks can carry. The notion that it has to be on you for 24-36 hours has been disproven by the experts. Now they say 10 minutes but, doctors are sticking with the earlier teachings. The doctor that discovered Lyme worked at Yale and he is now at Harvard. One of the physicians in the office where I go teaches the Lyme course at Harvard so I feel like I have the most current teaching available to me. He told me a bout a case in their office where a 19 year old male was having dangerous issues with his heart. It turned out to be Lyme. The test is notorious for false negatives. Many walk-ins around here just treat you with 2 weeks of antibiotics to be on the safe side. The ticks that carries the disease are the tinny ones. They say most people never even know they were bitten.. There is a telltale bullseye rash around the bite but, many people don't get that. My son had rings over his whole body 15 years ago. 3 doctors in a hospital ER had no idea what it was and sent him home. Thankfully my doctors office knew exactly what it was. Don't ignore symptoms that occur within 3-30 days.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being tested for Lyme's after finding a tick on you is worthless. Lyme will not show up in blood for 8 to 10 weeks AFTER bite. Because incubation period so long many DR will just start you on doxy without a test. Fri a dog that on frontline had over 10 ticks this is going to be a bad year.

good points. but i'd sure be talking to doc if getting bitten by that many if it was a lymes disease area.

i just came in and had a deer tick on me, felt it crawling. the buggers are hard to kill, i wrap them in a bit of toilet paper and then cut them with scissors to make sure they're ded, ded, ded...

with all the deer that have been running through the yard lately i will have to keep checking more than i have been and will warn Mom too.

i know you'd appreciate this, saw my first snake today. not too big, very active though as he was hanging out under some black weed barrier scraps i had sitting around and went to move. didn't scare me too bad, but a little startle and then a laugh. :) hope it gets to eat plenty of mice and chipmunks, wish it could climb trees...