Unwelcome Harbinger of Spring

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom showed me a bug she caught earlier as she was worried it was a tick, but it was just a small harmless beetle. it didn't bite her... there's a huge number of beetles. i've only seen two kinds of ticks so far (wood tick and deer tick), i've not seen or heard of seed ticks before and i'm not going to look either...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've not seen or heard of seed ticks before and i'm not going to look either...

Seed ticks are tiny pin head sized ticks that literally swarm by the hundreds. You walk into a nest of those things and they will be ALL over you, Your hair, your clothes, socks, shoes, anywhere and everywhere.

When I was a teenager, I was at my grand parents one weekend with my cousin and her friend. We went walking in the woods and blundered through a patch of seed ticks. They were freaking out, slapping at their clothes and screaming girlie screams. City girls. Me? I told them I was going to the creek and took off running. I guess they felt stupid standing there screaming, so they followed me. I ran down in the creek bottom, stripped all my clothes off and scrubbed down with hand fulls of wet sand. I advised them to do the same and they did. Then we sloshed in the creek to wash off all the sand and mud. No more ticks. But then we had to walk back to the house, butt naked, holding our clothes and shoes. We spread our clothes on the tractor and went in for fresh clothes. LOL

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed ticks are tiny pin head sized ticks that literally swarm by the hundreds. You walk into a nest of those things and they will be ALL over you, Your hair, your clothes, socks, shoes, anywhere and everywhere.

When I was a teenager, I was at my grand parents one weekend with my cousin and her friend. We went walking in the woods and blundered through a patch of seed ticks. They were freaking out, slapping at their clothes and screaming girlie screams. City girls. Me? I told them I was going to the creek and took off running. I guess they felt stupid standing there screaming, so they followed me. I ran down in the creek bottom, stripped all my clothes off and scrubbed down with hand fulls of wet sand. I advised them to do the same and they did. Then we sloshed in the creek to wash off all the sand and mud. No more ticks. But then we had to walk back to the house, butt naked, holding our clothes and shoes. We spread our clothes on the tractor and went in for fresh clothes. LOL

eek! *skin crawls*

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Y'all are so funny with your dreams of tick invasions. I apologize for opening this can of worms--I mean ticks.
On the bright side, most of my numerous bites are healing and the intense itching only lasted about 3 or 4 days. No red bulls eyes.
Nyboy, I have often put a tick on the counter and added a few drops of liquid dish soap on it, which does kill it but not instantly. It kind of glues the tick in place long enough for the soap to kill.
DH likes to put a match to them (not while still attached to him)

Latest posts