UPDATE: Got the herbs in their pots and I'm EXCITED....

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You see...what had happened was.....

Last year my husband lost his job, my friend and her kids moved in across the street and she needed TONS of help and work was crazy to say the least....so no garden went in as planned.....I had one little jalapeno plant that survived on my porch (worms got my tomato AND cilantro that day in a matter of hours!) This year I am DETERMINED to grow SOMETHING! (Even if all I get is weeds!) I went and got a load of garden soil this morning as we are doing raised beds and now....I'm scared.....I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN THE SOIL OUTTA MY TRUCK!!!!!!

I'm paranoid nothing will survive between the crazy Texas weather and the chickens....and now that I have dirt I don't know what to grow! We live 90 miles inland from Galveston, just north of Houston....it's mostly warm in the days, but a little cool some nights....what do I do next? (besides getting the dirt out of the truck and buying some plants because I decided to skip the starting from seeds thing this year?)

Oh! Here's the plan (read ULTRA lazy as work makes me that way - I spend 60 + hours a week at that place, 10 - 12 hours driving too and from that place, if I am lucky 56 hours sleeping and that leaves only 40 hours a week for the "LIFE" category - some of which is dedicated to things like cooking and cleaning as well :) ) So...the plan..... (1) raised beds made from kiddie pools with holes drilled into the bottom for drainage surrounded by netting to keep the chickens out and potentially a full blown fence for the garden area before all is said and done (2) Potatoes grown in empty feed bags - I've been researching and think for fun at least I shall give this a try, why not, I have LOADS of empty feed sacks around this place! How does that sound? Like a total looney nut too lazy to till her own soil? Or like a good potential plan? Honestly...let me know....keep in mind it's pretty much nasty sandy/clayish junk out there for dirt too....

Also, the things I would like to see growing in my yard are: tomatoes, peppers, squash, corn, broccoli, okra, and herbs (which shall be confined in pots on my porch because it worked 2 years ago, so I'm-a stick with that). The potatoes are just a test drive. How does that list sound for right now for this time of year? I am hoping at the garden center they can give me some advice...but don't really trust them 100% as I know some people working there are potentially just out to make a sale or get a paycheck (I see it all the time at my place - no offense intended, just being honest)

So...long winded as it may be...does it sound like the start of a good plan? Or just a bunch of dried up twigs waiting to happen? I'm very seriously some one who WANTS to plan and prepare...but then life happens and I end up FLYING by the SEAT of my PANTS EVERYTIME! Someone give me a good flight plan! please? :)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Within 2-4 years, the plastic in the kiddie pools will start breaking and cracking. Then, you'll be faced with picking out all the plastic and disposing of it. I went the kiddie pool route once. Never again...

I'd suggest a few landscape timbers, instead.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First of all, I wouldn't say you're "lazy". You're busy! Texas soil can be a bugger.... I'm midway between Dallas and Waco, and in most places on the farm, we have about 2 -4 inches of clay, and then we hit rock. Imagine the joy in setting a simple T-Post!

So, I bring in dirt as well. Last year I was more determined than ever to grow our own food, or at least SOME of our own food, so I put in a few 3x4' raised beds, and grew tomatoes, cuc's, and zuc in large produce picking baskets. Worked GREAT! This year, we're putting in more raised beds and having more dirt delivered.

You are wise to surround your growing areas with netting -- I have to do the same thing to keep the free range roosters (that get booted out of the hen house for being too aggressive), and the armadillos, and farm cats (!!!) out of the beds.

As for what you could grow, I would scratch corn off of your list for such a small growing area. Peppers and tomatoes (should) do well, as will squash (it will want to vine UP and OUT of your raised beds tho) and zuc will do well. Just be sure to keep them watered well. If the soil gets too dry and then too wet too frequently, the plants have troubles.

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh -- what to grow! Missed that part...

Definitely cross off the Sweet Corn. Also, cross off any winter squash, pumpkins, or watermelons. They take a lot of space.

Install a trellis and grow pole beans instead of any bush varieties. They take less space this way. Do climbing tomatoes, instead of sprawling tomatoes. Peppers are great, as the last poster mentioned.

Greens work well in these types of beds -- whatever is appropriate for your gardening area. (Check your state's extension service recommendations). I would imagine that most cold weather crops have a fairly short life span in Texas, but it might still be possible for you to get some short day lettuce or radishes there -- depends on when your weather gets hot in your part of the state. (Radish and lettuce are cool weather crops). I'd definitely get some herbs into that ground -- rosemary, basil, and oregano are all easy to grow. Basil can get sunburned, so move it into the sun gradually if you buy plants.

Choose veggies that you like to eat that are high cost in your area. Avoid those that are space hogs (corn, winter squash) and those that are super cheap to buy (potatoes & carrots). Tomatoes & peppers cost a small fortune so are a focus for me.

I have a rule that if something is bothered by large amounts of pests (other than tomatoes and peppers) I don't grow it unless an easy natural solution can be found. I'll grow something else that works better on my land to minimize my work...

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds like your working toward what i finished up with this weekend. Raised beds and a fenced in garden. I had to fence in because of wild rabbits, but now that we have chickens it helps also.

I live in SouthWest Louisisana and get about the same weather as you do. I'm using a mixture of potting soil, peat moss, and home made compost to start filling my raised beds. I grow everything from peppers to corn, potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, pumpkin, lettuce, carrots, radish, onions, garlic, etc...

Harmony Hobby Farms, Garden Update

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The corn and potatoes are mostly so my nieces can see where it comes from...kinda an experiment...I was thinking just a few little corn seeds and see what happens - not a whole field of it...just didn't know when to plant it. They are TOTAL city kids that haven't even been here a year yet, so they get a kick out of this and it gives them something to stay busy with and the 6 year old has requested corn stalks for a scarecrow to live in.

When I was younger, my mother made an area very similar in size and sucky dirt do very well (of course that was with Southern California weather also). She had zucchini, okra, artichokes, pumpkins galor - too much stuff to name really! She was REALLY good at it....but now we no longer communicate so much (long story) or I'd go to her for advice. I'm not hoping to do nearly so well...but instead mostly give myself a little something to do and my husband a purpose of sorts - he still hasn't gone back to work and while we aren't desperatly hurting to the point that I need this garden to feed us, he is DRIVING ME COMPLETELY BONKERS in his lack of things to do! I just don't want this to fail totally miserably and leave him depressed over it...it would break his heart like the chicken we lost when it froze...you shoulda seen a grown man cry over a rooster he didn't even like! It was AWFUL!

I know my little pools will eventually crumble, I'm prepared for that reality...but we are considering moving in a few years anyways as this area will back up to an airport runway and industrial complex by then - not somewhere I want to live forever. So even if I only get a good season or two outta these pools they have done their job and I will be okay with that.

As far as what to grow and why I am growing it...I'm not expecting a bumper crop of anything...but a little taste of this and that would be fun. I'm going for fun here. Any melons are outta the question because they are something my mom never got to do well and I figure if that woman couldn't grow it I ain't trying either! But also if I dedicate one entire pool to a pumpkin plant and only get one little pumpkin I'd be okay with that as well. Fun for the kids and a small success for us. That's all I want, small successes and plants that will live for longer than a week...just worried about the weather really....I DETEST Texas weather! (Though I do love most everything else :) ) Cold one day, hot the next, then HOT HOT HOT and HUMID too! I don't know how I survive it, let alone little plants! And let's not even mention the hibiscus that did so well last year only to freeze this winter! I need things that require a little benign neglect in their day so they can be a part of mine I guess...any plants marketed as "thriving on benign neglect" out there?

IDK....I just hate the idea of planting something only to watch it wither away because I waited too long or jumped in too soon...If it helps I have endless supplies of horse poo, coffee grounds and eggshells...surely that MUST help right? I'm just scared that this will fail and everything will be little brown twigs in the dirt...we already got PLENTY of twigs! Don't need no more...

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
IF you plant corn for the kids to see how it grows, I'd suggest planting it in a circle, not in a row. A row will find it difficult to stay upright in wind.... planted in a circle will give each stalk support from it's neighbor.

You might consider the three-sisters style of planting (aka companion planting), and surround your corn circle w/ beans and squash.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I second Miss Daisy's opinion on the corn. Circles would be better for pollination too.

Do you like okra? I think they're extremely easy to grow and produce LOTS.

It's pretty hard to not succeed with summer squash too.

Latest posts