Updated the flock!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not wanting to 'steal' this thread, but yesterday I saw a photo of my son's MIL's new chicks. She, too, has a rainbow of new birds. Two of them look like (mini) bald eagles. I couldn't hear her well at supper. Does anyone know what kind of chicken that might be?

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats on the new flock!
I am always glad to hear of people's experiences with chicken personalities.
I love my buff orps, but Now I have the barred rocks, Delawares, and speckled Sussex on my wish list.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know Red. I know some breeds where the adults could look something like that, Black Silver Marans for example, but the down pattern is not like that. if they have feathered out and are out of the down stage, this might be a possibility. A white or red head with a black body is a standard birchen gene look. I don't know how many different breeds use the birchen gene, but a lot do.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, a birchen colored chicken, or a chick that hasn't finished feathering out.:idunno

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my wynadottes were little, they had dark bodies with light heads... They also had 'glasses' and looked like Harry Potter! LOL Citizen - 5.20.12 - 8oz.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the new flock!
I am always glad to hear of people's experiences with chicken personalities.
I love my buff orps, but Now I have the barred rocks, Delawares, and speckled Sussex on my wish list.

I added Bantam Barred Cochins to my "keeper" list. I impulsively bought 3 at the feed store back in February and they have been so much fun to watch grow up. They're in with the big girls now, and spent their first night out of their nursery dog house and in the coop with everybody last night.

They're so darn cute to watch because they don't walk anywhere, they run. And they run as a unit, so you see these round little feathered bodies moving around the pen like a moving puddle. I ended up with two hens and a rooster out of that bunch, and the rooster will probably be staying for the long term because he really takes care of his girls.

Latest posts