*Updated w/Questions* I got a pressure canner today!!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:weee

:ya

I'm so excited! I have it at work with me. The UPS driver just delivered it today. I have been trying to think what I can preserve in it today because I can't WAIT to get home and try it!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a recipe for preserved leaves and twigs? LOL

Cassandra

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out. I've been thinking of getting one and trying to can some salsa.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lucky ducky. I have been wanting to get one. Let us know how you like it and the brand etc.

Now you can go canning nuts!!!! In a good way of course. :gig

:woot

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is what kind I got. A Presto 23 quart pressure canner & cooker:

http://www.canningpantry.com/presto-pressure-canners.html

It's so SHINY :D

It was really funny, too cause it was really well packaged, I must say. And i got out the first piece of paper that says DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT READING THE INSTRUCTIONS. So I started looking for the instructions and they were sealed inside the canner!

:gig

So....... I must be really dumb because it took me several minutes to figure out how to get the lid off (with no instructions, mind you) and get the instructions out. :/

I will let you all know how it works.

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I canned six pints of diced tomatoes last night (using the instructions for halved tomatoes because there were not different instructions for diced.)

I have a couple of questions about how it turned out.

1.) It REALLY smelled like tomatoes in the house after we turned it off and let it vent. and
2.) There was a little tomato juice inside the canner and a little less -- like an inch less -- of tomatoes inside the jars.

Normal?

Otherwise, everything went as I expected and the jars all sealed.

Cassandra

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes that is normal. As the pressure canner is doing its thing the tomatoes are cooking down inside the jars. The tomatoe smell is normal as steam escapes the jars.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love my Presto canner! Good for you. I`ve had it for years and still looks like new. Happy Canning!:happy_flower

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, that's so cool! I love shiny new things. :D

I can't wait to hear how the tomatoes turned out! Congratulations!!!! :happy_flower

Latest posts