Uprooted Coneflower

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today while cleaning out/cutting down dead flower heads from a garden bed, I accidentally pulled up two very small pieces/stems of coneflower or rudbeckia which had a small bit of green leaf growth at the bottom, newly emerged.

I transplanted them to another area.

They are very small.

What do you think are the chances of their surviving? I watered them in well. I am not sure how well these transplant?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
They stand a pretty good chance. Give it afternoon shade for a few days to help. a little splash of water on the leaves is helpful too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have cone flowers coming out my ears!!!!

I've accidently ripped them out breaking off dead stems from previous years. In fact I broke a few yesterday. They all seem to not be bothered by the damage I cause them and they all come back just fine. You don't want to see how terribly I've moved them around over the years. Those things are not in the least bit delicate! :gig

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good to know. In the past I've tried putting them back in the moist soil after accidentally pulling them out, but they have not survived.

However, yesterday I moved them to a new location and watered them very well. And then it rained a ton last night, so they might possibly make it this time.

Fingers crossed..

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet they will be just fine. Last year I had several clumps of purple coneflower in a flower bed that we did away with, being in an unconvenient location. I dug three big clumps out and transplanted them. I dug a bunch, a big bunch of clumps up and put them at the end of my driveway in a box with a "free" sign on them.
Now I see that there are more than ever coming back in the original location! ACK! I may have to get out the round-up!

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't transplant clumps, per se, just single itty-bitty bits. About the size of a dime, each. Two of them.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Transplant seedlings or mature plants from pots into prepared ground by digging a hole as deep as the pot and approximately 2-inches wider. Slip the plant out of the pot and place in the hole, back-filling soil to surround the root ball while maintaining a consistent same soil level around the stem. Press down around the root ball with the palm of your hand to compact any air pockets and water in well.