UPS brought the All American Canner!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been resisting spending the money- but I had a great fingerling potato harvest and I really "needed" to can them!! This thing looks scary! I am not using it without DH, the engineer in the room!
Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congradulations on your new toy! :D Sorry I can't help you out but I'm sure between your husband and the manual you will be able to figure it out.

It's funny how we always "need" some things. That's what I tell my hubby. :lol:

Have fun with it.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You won't be sorry. I bought one last Summer and it's a joy to use. I've used a lot of the old metal to metal seal canners and was used to having trouble with them leaking steam but the All American never gave me that trouble. Be sure you keep a light coat of oil on the seal. It needs a new coat about every third or fourth use. Just dampen a paper towel with the olive oil and give the seal a wipe with it. That lubricates it so it won't stick and fail to draw down tight. Be sure to tighten opposite screws at the same time. Put your cover on and look at the gap between the cover and bottom. It should be the same gap all around. If it isn't use the screws to even it out but don't screw them down tight yet. Now go to two screws that are opposite each other and just snug them down. Go to another set and do the same. Finally snug down the third set. If your gap has stayed even repeat the tightening sequence but this time take them down as tight as you can get them with your fingers. Now you should be set to go. Of course you load your canner with a couple of inches of water and your canning jars first. leave the weight off till your water has come to a boil and you have a solid jet of steam coming out the vent. Then you put your weight on with the right pound adjustment at the bottom (usually 10 pounds if your at or around sea level). It's a good idea to wear an oven mit when you do this. If you carelessly put a bare hand into the steam jet you could burn yourself. Turn the heat down till your weight dances just three or four times per minute and start your timing.
You may get a small steam leak the first few times you use it but after a couple of uses that will stop.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got one this summer too. I only used it as a water bath canner so far, but I will hopefully taking the plunge next time into actually using it as a pressure canner.

I love mine.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The quality in it compared to the Chinese junk alone makes it worth having. I love the idea that it's made in Wisconsin. It just goes to show that we can still produce quality in this country given the chance.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am over come with jealousy! Congrats....

If I had advice I would share, but really, you'll figure it out and become a canning addict like the rest of us. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We did the potatoes this morning.... It was interesting-kind of a scary contraption and not for sissies! The entire process is not as forgiving as the water bath canning (which I love, and am used to...) I think with practice we will love it. Planning on canning carrots with mint, and maybe some of the beets. We'll be old pros in no time! I am pleased that it is made in America- it is quite a lovely piece of equipment and very finely made.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congrats on your new canner! Nice model! You'll be pressure canning pros that marvel the neighbors in no time. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
We did the potatoes this morning.... It was interesting-kind of a scary contraption and not for sissies! The entire process is not as forgiving as the water bath canning (which I love, and am used to...) I think with practice we will love it. Planning on canning carrots with mint, and maybe some of the beets. We'll be old pros in no time! I am pleased that it is made in America- it is quite a lovely piece of equipment and very finely made.
It only seems complicated the first few times you do it. After that it gets to be routine. Don't forget it has built in safeguards that keep it from being dangerous.

Latest posts