USA source for 'Quintal d'Alsace' cabbage seeds?

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where I can buy 'Quintal d'Alsace' cabbage seed in the US? I can only find a few sources in Europe. Thanks.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like SSE has them, but I'm no longer a member and don't want to join for one cabbage seed.

@flowerbug thank you. It goes without saying, I'll pay for postage. etc.(so I won't say it), your are most kind for looking for me.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seeds of Diversity, which is the Canadian version of SSE, decided to offer membership for free last year and it has been a huge boon to gardeners who are able to easily access unique heirloom seeds from all across the country. Interestingly, they combined the free offer of membership with a request for donations-- and through this new approach they have received more funds than they ever did when they primarily raised funds through membership fees. It would be wonderful if the SSE was also more affordable, and therefore more accessible to those who only wish to purchase a few varieties of seeds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like SSE has them, but I'm no longer a member and don't want to join for one cabbage seed.

@flowerbug thank you. It goes without saying, I'll pay for postage. etc.(so I won't say it), your are most kind for looking for me.

i looked for them but did not find any. out of luck from me. sorry! :( i hope you can get them some other way.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is it about this Alsatian cabbage that makes it so appealing Jack? Is it the taste, or the winter hardiness perhaps? You have piqued my curiosity.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is it about this Alsatian cabbage that makes it so appealing Jack? Is it the taste, or the winter hardiness perhaps? You have piqued my curiosity.
Well, in 2009 The Oregonian newspaper said it was one of the two best to grow here in the Willamette Valley. I already have seeds for the other one, January King. Quintal d'Alsace is the traditional variety used for producing sauerkraut in France's Alsace-Lorraine area. While I am not a fan of sauerkraut, my neighbor is, so I'll be growing it for her.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, in 2009 The Oregonian newspaper said it was one of the two best to grow here in the Willamette Valley. I already have seeds for the other one, January King. Quintal d'Alsace is the traditional variety used for producing sauerkraut in France's Alsace-Lorraine area. While I am not a fan of sauerkraut, my neighbor is, so I'll be growing it for her.
How nice of you! I have an elderly neighbour who really likes rhubarb, but his patch doesn't grow well. So, I have kept way too many rhubarb plants in my garden so he can come over and harvest what he likes, and freeze some too. This has gone a LONG way into convincing my neighbours that my having a garden is a good idea. ;)

Latest posts