Using cut SWEET PEAS as indoor decor -- advice, please!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grew sweet peas outside once (about 15 years ago) and used them as cut flowers in the house. If I remember correctly, they lasted a few days & smelled heavenly. I don't remember the variety.

:frow

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, what zone are you gardening in- and when is the wedding.... What does it say on the seed packages. Are they calling the seeds an annual, bi-annual or what? I love gardening and I love the idea that you want to grow things for your wedding- however, what if they don't grow, what if you get two flowers...I don't think I would want to count on something I didn't already have growing....I don't mean to be a downer here, but aren't weddings stressful enough??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of the cautions are appropriate.

I've grown Early Spencer sweet peas fairly often for cut flowers. They are wonderful and I'd imagine the Royal Mixture should be as well.

The problem that year I grew the Royals was they got rather blasted by the sun. Sweet peas can also have a real problem with aphids. Then, if you spray them, and the sun comes out - they will really fry!

Not terribly long stems on sweet peas. Don't go with the perennial species unless fragrance means nothing to you. Timing of the bloom would be very important. They don't have a long season.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Lesa, you don't want to stress out over something that can be capricious. Maybe you could plant them but plan on something else for your dance area and then use the sweet peas as a contingency, if they bloom well etc. Even if you don't use them on the ceiling they do make nice cut flowers and you could put bouquets of them on the tables.

nicolem25

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

I think I may go with Early Spencer Sweet Peas. I'll test them and if they don't work out, I'll go with fake flowers....or no ceiling treatment at all! It's not a huge deal if this doesn't work. I just thought it was a nice idea to feature something from my garden at my wedding.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a great idea, to feature something from your garden! I think having the attitude that if you have something wonderful in bloom, you'll use it, will save you a lot of grief! Something is bound to be in bloom. Don't forget to post pics!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
nicolem25 said:
I just thought it was a nice idea to feature something from my garden at my wedding.
Why don't you plant whatever flowers you like and put these in vases for the tables?

I used to do flower design years ago, and I did the flowers for my daughters wedding. I purchased the flowers but used alot of my own homegrown greenery. I used the varigated canna leaves wrapped around the inside of hugh vases that were filled with bells of Ireland. They made quite a statement. Just some ideas.

Mary

Latest posts