Using Pictures from the Internet as Avatars?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it's obvious (to me) that my dad always went to the internet, downloaded a pic that he liked, resized and/or cropped it, and uploaded it here for his ever-changing avatar. I don't have any idea who the little girl is in my avatar. To my way of thinking using a picture for an avatar is no different than posting the picture of the beautiful bird above. Or any of the hundreds of pics we have shared here that were not taken by ourselves.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red For most computers and laptops, in general, you would right click on that picture. A drop down will appear, and on the drop down look for something like "copy image", and click that.

see, we get to copy and paste even pictures these days! just like doing it with words :)

After you click "copy image" go to your image load thing...oh i forgot the details of puttimg an avatar in, but somewhere you should be able to right click, and do a "paste image"

sighs, i think digit or thistle can describe much better. I sure do like that new photo of you with that long windblown deep red hair, and the way you wear that headband :D

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What I did was take it straight from Google images. Right click over image - save image as - save to desktop or wherever. Then when you go to use it as your avatar just click on your saved image. Should work but might take some playing around to get it right.

@marshallsmyth do you remember where you found the image/the word that you used to bring it up?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth do you remember where you found the image/the word that you used to bring it up?

I think you just pointed out the importance of copyright on the internet and how it benefits everyone, especially the original creator. And also the benefits of protecting the owner's rights to require attribution for their works, even if it is just a photo.

I know we're just talking about a thumbnail avatar, it may even pass the 'fair use' test :hu ... but without intellectual property rights, I could 'borrow' a few of @NwMtGardener 's bird photos for my blog and someone could find my blog and wish to publish, purchase rights to, or otherwise legally use some of the photos for their website, book or whatever. I could not legally give them permission to do that and without attributing them to the owner, the owner would miss that opportunity. And @NwMtGardener would want to beat me up.:D

One would think that people should just protect their works by licensing, watermarking, etc., but automatic rights protects all things equally. I think that's a good thing and encourages people to show and share more, with their rights protected.

@TheSeedObsesser - Your duck photos are every bit as interesting as that bird, to me anyway.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts