Using Sage

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was making up a shopping list and had just added sage. Then I said to myself, "Self, (that's what I call myself is 'self' :) Why are you buying sage? You have two Silverado Sage plants growing in the yard." Self responded, "Because you don't know how to use it, dummy!" So I'm asking y'all, do I just grind up the leaves or what? Is Silverado good for cooking?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi OG, here is something i found that might be what you have for your sage. i don't think what you have is very useful for any kind of cooking, more used for making teas when you have a cold or flu http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/leuc_fru.cfm

there are other types of sage out there that is used more for cooking or in a spice mix. mostly broad leaf sage is used in the Bell's poultry spice mix. sage is supposed to be good for your digestive system with fatty meats. but women need to be very careful with it. i believe i read in one of my herb books that pregnant women should be especially careful with it and not over eat it/drink. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_officinalis

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about Silverado. Take a leaf and crush it between your fingers. Does that smell like something you want in your food?

With fresh sage, I take the leaves off the stems, wash them, and using a small knife and cutting board, mince it if it if going to be eaten with the food. A lot of times with my herbs, if they are going to be removed after it is cooked, I don't bother mincing them. I just wash them, put the sprig in, and take the whole sprig out when it is cooked..

When I dry it, it gets rubbed. It does not powder or disintegrate real well, like basil or oregano, but I just rub it to break it up as best I can and remove stems. I define stems as something that when I am rubbing it, it sticks me or I can feel a stick.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I prefer to store whole leaves of any spice is a sealed glass jar small enough not to have much air space. You can crumble them with your fingers just before adding them to the food. I think whole leaves retain the volatile oils better than chopped or precrushed. Of course the best way to use most spices is fresh rather than dried. You get the full flavor that way but unless you live in a very mild climate you have to dry for Winter use.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sage does have a lot of oils in the leaves so keeping them whole is the best way to keep them in the best condition. also, store any herbs in dark glass containers. the sunlight will break down those oils if they are exposed to a lot of sunlight. the dark containers help to keep a lot of that light from getting in.

i don't recommend trying to dry the leaves in the microwave. they tend to snap and pop a lot and it could sound like you are going to make them explode! (sort of looks neat but i won't try it again) i do dry mine by putting a single layer of leaves between paper plates and then putting something heavy to just hold down the top plate. just make sure to check the leaves each day for dryness. i do this method so the leaves stay flat.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I prefer to store whole leaves of any spice is a sealed glass jar small enough not to have much air space. You can crumble them with your fingers just before adding them to the food. I think whole leaves retain the volatile oils better than chopped or precrushed. Of course the best way to use most spices is fresh rather than dried. You get the full flavor that way but unless you live in a very mild climate you have to dry for Winter use.
Yeap Hoodat is right, but using them fresh is easiest.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I use my sage to stuff all fowl. Every whole chicken or whole turkey that I cook is stuffed with a few fresh sage leaves and onion. I harvest sage from my herb garden every month of the year. I don't bother drying and storing sage bc it dries out after winter starts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of sage do you burn indoors for purification? I heard about this as a Native American ritual. At least that's what I was told that smell was. Maybe it was pot??

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky said:
What kind of sage do you burn indoors for purification? I heard about this as a Native American ritual. At least that's what I was told that smell was. Maybe it was pot??
That's funny!! I used to burn it after my ex-mother-in-law left and that IS what it smells like!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gnome_Czech said:
so lucky said:
That's funny!! I used to burn it after my ex-mother-in-law left and that IS what it smells like!
Pretty funny that you felt the need to purify your house after your MIL left!:lol:

Latest posts