Using the greenhouse all summer long

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are those shades retractable so as they are needed you can unroll them or roll them up depending on the season?

What about next year trellising some watermelons or other southern summer loving melons? They are always a toss up here once I get my greenhouse I plan on trellising some sugar babies, because even those are hit and miss on getting a successful crop.

*edited because I had another thought* what about setting up a rain barrel or barrels or another type of water collection system some kind of drip system to keep your plants watered? That way your not hauling hoses or if you are its only to refill the holding tanks rather than into the greenhouse?

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In the past, I have thought of a possible remedy for an overheated greenhouse, albeit a crazy idea. What about popping an air conditioner in there and only running it on the highest temp (I think ac's go up to 79 degrees F) during the hottest hours of the day? :hu

Now all I need is an actual greenhouse to test my idea, and perhaps a really long extension cord.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Commercial greenhouses that are used 12 months annually, are basically large swamp coolers.

The pads behind the large doors at one end are soaked with water pumped from a tank. The fans at the other end of the greenhouse exhaust air, so outside air is pulled in thru those wet pads.

So, a swamp cooler. It is just that the glass allows in so much sunlight that the air inside the box (the greenhouse) is really quite warm. If the grass was replaced by something opaque, the inside air would be cooler than the outside air.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Are those shades retractable so as they are needed you can unroll them or roll them up depending on the season?

What about next year trellising some watermelons or other southern summer loving melons? They are always a toss up here once I get my greenhouse I plan on trellising some sugar babies, because even those are hit and miss on getting a successful crop.

*edited because I had another thought* what about setting up a rain barrel or barrels or another type of water collection system some kind of drip system to keep your plants watered? That way your not hauling hoses or if you are its only to refill the holding tanks rather than into the greenhouse?
The shade can be seen in the photo covering the roof. It is a large single piece and I place it and remove it as needed. Usually, I don't put it on until the sun is beating down and I see the plants just beginning to droop. In my case, there is a deck just behind the greenhouse, and I use an aluminum extension pole to simply drop the shade in place. I remove it about an hour before sunset so the plants can get the morning sun.

I grow the cucumbers to please my granddaughter, Ava, as she just LOVES fresh dill pickles.

Jack B.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Commercial greenhouses that are used 12 months annually, are basically large swamp coolers.
Here is an image I found on the web (didn't have any copyright information on the page :p:

4989_a_swamp_cooler.jpg

Think of a greenhouse as the box around the components -- and put many, many feet of growing space between that pump/water tank and the fan. BTW, just ignore the "cool fresh air" on the blue arrow - it will not be cool after passing thru a glass house.

Steve :cool:

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The greenhouse has been a revolutionary thing and is going to help the indoor growers a lot and will need to be utilized in a proper manner. The picture just posted here give great details about the green house system and will be helpful a lot.

Latest posts