Using up Sweet Potatoes

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I have about another 10-12 lbs. left, not counting one or two saved for slips. Tonight we had pan-fried cubed steak with peppered gravy, green beans from the garden, hot rolls and sweet potato latkes. They were divine! I couldn't help munching on a couple while I was frying the batches. I think I like them even better than regular latkes. I wasn't sure about the green onion at first, but it really made them awesome! I'm going to pass this recipe on to my friend at church who told me how easy sweet potatoes are to grow. She has a mess of them too. :)

I've been trying to get creative with the sweet potatoes so DH won't burn out. I've got another recipe I want to try for sweet potato gnocchi (gonna save that one for a not-so-busy day when I have time to mess with it, maybe let the kids help.) And one for turkey pot pie with sweet potato biscuits. :drool

There were several folks on here who grew some last summer, I recall. What's your favorite sweet potato recipe?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cubed some up and used them in a stir fry a few nights back. DH didn't even notice he was eating SP.
He has culinary avoidance issues. ;)

What he doesn't know...just might be downright good for him! LOL I am shocked that my kids don't like sweet potatoes, although I did get Ava to take 3 bites of her latke. :\ Anytime you can hide those vitamins and minerals in there, it's the way to go. I'm going to have to start pureeing everything for the kids and hiding it. They are so picky anymore! Especially Savannah.

I never knew how versatile sweet potatoes were until now!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite way to eat them is in the casserole I make at Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately it also has lots of butter and brown sugar and a praline topping. It's really more like dessert. :rolleyes: That's why it's my favorite.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite way to eat them is in the casserole I make at Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately it also has lots of butter and brown sugar and a praline topping. It's really more like dessert. :rolleyes: That's why it's my favorite.

Oh yeah, my favorite too! We made a few of those this fall/winter to start with. Frying them might be only slightly healthier...hahaha.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fried in butter, sprinkled with sugar. Yum! Also great in pork stir fry with fresh Ginger, pineapple, bell pepper and onion.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have used them all in pies by now. :rolleyes:

I might have thought of that, if I wasn't preoccupied with cranking out pumpkin/squash pies instead. ;) We're having squash soup tomorrow too.

So many orange vegetables. Right now I'm craving something green! :D

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When ever I see sweet potatoe ravioli on a menu I have to order it !! It is so good, but I don't have a clue how to make. Bet your kids will have no idea they are eating sweet potatoe.

Latest posts