Using up Sweet Potatoes

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not tried them either, but I hear they are really good, maybe even better than regular sweet potatoes. I'd have to buy them online. I've never seen them for sale around here.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I usually shred them, when I set up to make ferments I will grate, chop and slice a variety of veggies. I usually have sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, onion (usually green), carrot, kale, beets,and whatever else I have laying around. Since dollar for dollar sweet potatoes are quite cheap they get a leading role in whatever I make. Seasoning consists of salt, and salt to taste like you where going to eat the veggies raw, so not too much but enough to bring out the flavors. 7 to ten days in a sealed mason jar set in a pan to catch overflow. I use organic veggies and a gentle water wash, I leave skins on and always use 100% of the vegetable...

I eat them as is, I don't like to cook with fermented veggies so I just eat them, they tend to turn out like a coleslaw, a vinegar coleslaw, its very good. The ferment you see in the quart jar I just ate, it was made with all the leftovers so a little bit of everything. The best thing about ferments is all the good bacteria you get along with the veggies...

Most of the white and yellow in the jars in sweet potato, I had garnet and white sweets, some of the white you see is cauliflower...

Here is how I do it...

Attachments

• IMG_20150310_163940392_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150310_163940392_HDR.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually shred them, when I set up to make ferments I will grate, chop and slice a variety of veggies. I usually have sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, onion (usually green), carrot, kale, beets,and whatever else I have laying around. Since dollar for dollar sweet potatoes are quite cheap they get a leading role in whatever I make. Seasoning consists of salt, and salt to taste like you where going to eat the veggies raw, so not too much but enough to bring out the flavors. 7 to ten days in a sealed mason jar set in a pan to catch overflow. I use organic veggies and a gentle water wash, I leave skins on and always use 100% of the vegetable...

I eat them as is, I don't like to cook with fermented veggies so I just eat them, they tend to turn out like a coleslaw, a vinegar coleslaw, its very good. The ferment you see in the quart jar I just ate, it was made with all the leftovers so a little bit of everything. The best thing about ferments is all the good bacteria you get along with the veggies...

Most of the white and yellow in the jars in sweet potato, I had garnet and white sweets, some of the white you see is cauliflower...

Here is how I do it...

I didn't know you could mix all those different things. It comes out so pretty! You make it sound much easier than some of the websites I've visited. So this is just like making sauerkraut, salt them and pack them in? I wouldn't have thought so much water would come out of some of those veggies.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I didn't know you could mix all those different things. It comes out so pretty! You make it sound much easier than some of the websites I've visited. So this is just like making sauerkraut, salt them and pack them in? I wouldn't have thought so much water would come out of some of those veggies.

Some I put beets on the bottom and another on top, yea I just added different colors and had fun. This stuff taste great and my digestive system has never been happier. It isn't easy really, I spent a couple of hours processing the veggie and salting them as I made them. Then with ten bowls of various veggies I just started packing. In the big glass jar, I am making a regular sauerkraut, I didn't have enough cabbage so I added carrots and onions, so it will be a sauercoleslaw...

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Once I pack a jar I like to run a nice sharp kitchen knife into the jars to get out any air. I have yet to find mold, but just take the mold off and if it doesn't smell "bad" it probably isn't...

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They sell white sweet potatoes starts which I have never eaten. I am told they taste like white but are healthier like sweets.

I grow a white-fleshed purple-skinned sweet potato that is delicious, but I don't know if they are as nutritious without the orange color. It has a slightly drier, sweet taste.

Latest posts