Vandal Proof mailbox?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a pretty sad family. The man had two boys, who were mostly out of control. He married a woman who had a teenage daughter and they purchased property in our neighborhood. The neighborhood was, up until then, pretty quite. The man also had a "girlfriend" who lived in Troy. She had a protection order for him to keep away, but, he went to her house with a baseball bat to attack her. She shot him and claimed self defense. Only problem is, she shot him NINE times. Eventually, after a trial she got a very light sentence. The widow sold the property and moved away; peace and quite returned. From time to time I would see the boys names in the police blotter, so I guess it is in the genes. :(
jackb

Oh, I forgot to mention, the woman being attacked was pregnant at the time with the guy's child, so the jury gave her a lot of sympathy. A script writer would never dream of making up a story like this one.

As she used a bolt action rifle to do the deed the state claimed it was not self defense, she should have stopped when he went down. She claimed that he was always violent, so she knew that if she did not kill him he would keep coming until he finished the job and killed her. If you were on the jury how would you vote? Guilty, Not Guilty?

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bored teenagers my guess
Exactly
I live in a rural area in Iowa. (Small town.) It has been a staple for Friday night fun for EVER! Living in town with a P.O. box saves some headaches. Remember the young man that was placing bombs in mail boxes across the U.S. making a smiley face on the map! He placed on in a box on my bus route. Thankfully it did not go off when the young pregnant Mother opened her box. Scary.
nyboy. Hope your new box takes the fun out of it for the BRATS.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a pretty sad family. The man had two boys, who were mostly out of control. He married a woman who had a teenage daughter and they purchased property in our neighborhood. The neighborhood was, up until then, pretty quite. The man also had a "girlfriend" who lived in Troy. She had a protection order for him to keep away, but, he went to her house with a baseball bat to attack her. She shot him and claimed self defense. Only problem is, she shot him NINE times. Eventually, after a trial she got a very light sentence. The widow sold the property and moved away; peace and quite returned. From time to time I would see the boys names in the police blotter, so I guess it is in the genes. :(
jackb

Oh, I forgot to mention, the woman being attacked was pregnant at the time with the guy's child, so the jury gave her a lot of sympathy. A script writer would never dream of making up a story like this one.

As she used a bolt action rifle to do the deed the state claimed it was not self defense, she should have stopped when he went down. She claimed that he was always violent, so she knew that if she did not kill him he would keep coming until he finished the job and killed her. If you were on the jury how would you vote? Guilty, Not Guilty?
Not guilty. Reason that she was in shock and emptied gun. Now half the gun unloaded, thinking planned. Either way, society is better off with him not in it.

In Indiana, if someone gets hurt while you protect your box (some used RR track) were held liable when kids tried to run over it. That is just not right. If I found out, they would get visit. I'd politely explain to them and parents the ramifications to their actions. They would not like them.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I recall she was found guilty of a lesser offense. Sentence was deferred until she delivered the child. Then, through a number of appeals she never served a day and the issue was dropped. The guy who blew up our box got hit by a truck while walking on a busy highway while he was high on drugs. It took several police officers to restrain him to get him into the ambulance. He passed away a short time later from complications. Sad, sad family.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
...Too bad there is no open season on vandals. :rolleyes:

jackb

Perhaps it would be absolutely fine if you were to use tranquilizers? Then when they're out you can bind them to a chair and give them a good, long lecture. ;)

Exactly
I live in a rural area in Iowa. (Small town.) It has been a staple for Friday night fun for EVER! Living in town with a P.O. box saves some headaches. Remember the young man that was placing bombs in mail boxes across the U.S. making a smiley face on the map! He placed on in a box on my bus route. Thankfully it did not go off when the young pregnant Mother opened her box. Scary.
nyboy. Hope your new box takes the fun out of it for the BRATS.

I have been friends with these kind of guys before. (I have never wrecked somebody's mailbox.) And you are absolutely right, they do it for fun, it gives them a rush. If one way of getting that sort of entertainment becomes unavailable, they'll easily find other ways. Or at least plague a nearby community were it is still available to them.

Guilty! That's a pure case of self defense! In my opinion it should not matter what kind of gun she used, or how much lead the guy ate.... he was obviously asking for it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If somebody was coming to beat me up with a baseball bat you'd better believe I would empty whatever firearm I had into him. Then I'd reload and make sure I did it right. Ammos cheap, living on life support is not. What a scumbag.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not guilty. Reason that she was in shock and emptied gun. Now half the gun unloaded, thinking planned. Either way, society is better off with him not in it.

In Indiana, if someone gets hurt while you protect your box (some used RR track) were held liable when kids tried to run over it. That is just not right. If I found out, they would get visit. I'd politely exIplain to them and parents the ramifications to their actions. They would not like them.
If I broke a arm destroying someones mailbox, parents willn't have sued. They would have broken my other arm.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know... you could always go in the other direction - put up a box that you don't mind replacing regularly
mailbox.jpg

ps... can you read what's on the tape?

Latest posts